Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Where to go from here? (Read 3151 times)
Rev.e
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Where to go from here?
Jul 8th, 2015 at 2:02am
Print Post  
I'm a Krager for 4 days now. Picked mine up at a gun show in Orlando. I fell in love with this thing from the jump. It was beautiful. Got it home, and 2of the rounds Actually shot, the others fizzled. I chalked out up to old ammo. But then I discovered a feed problem, so I cleaned and oiled everything. Worked a bit better but I'm thinking the follower spring is weak, loads 2or three then quits. The Krag ammo is about the price of unriched uranium, but I ran across this site and find there's a few other choices. I'm not sure but either the front sight needs replacing or it's a mod.Tell me oh wise ones of the Krag universe. Is this worth the journey?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Where to go from here?
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 4:34am
Print Post  
'Rev.e': Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your description does not clearly communicate the multiple problems you are reporting or provide possible clues.

1. Did the cartridges that failed to fire have a strong firing pin indentation on their primers?

2. Magazine feed problems are often caused by dirt, dried grease, rust and crud restricting the movement of parts.

3. If you post some clear, close-up, detailed photos of your sight and other questionable areas, you will get better analysis of possible problems.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 5:14am
Print Post  
'Rev.e': Here are some aids to help you.

1. KCA Schematic and table of part names.

2. Photo showing side-plate removed, to easily test follower action.

3. Photo showing magazine-door hinge pin rotated, to allow inspection and light lubrication of spring tip and cam.

4. Photo of Krag model 1898 rifle front-sight base and blade.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 10:53am
Print Post  
First, let me welcome you to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags.  They are an addiction for some of us (and they do tend to multiply in your safe when you're not looking, LOL).

Butlersrangers has some good advice, and pictures will surely help too.  With regards to the availability of useful ammo, first, if the ammo you tried to fire was older (with a headstamp such as: Rem-UMC, Superspeed, or anything that says 30 USA or 30 Army), I would keep them and not fire them as they may be compromised.  If it's newer Remington or Winchester ammo (30-40 Krag and R-P or Winchester headstamp), you should not have a problem unless you have a striker problem as Butlersrangers suggests.  Also, take a look down the barrel and ensure that you didn't have a squib and a bullet lodged in there. 

Save Your Brass!   Yes, 30-40 ammo is not cheap and hard to find.  Most of us reload, which is very cost effective.  There's no shortage of helpful people on this forum who can help you get started with reloading (myself included) and once the initial startup cost is recouped, you can shoot your Krag for very little money.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Oh... and YES, Krags are definitely worth the journey!!!

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Indeed. Krags are not a means to an end, but rather the end in and of itself!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint