Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 bought a new Krag today (Read 6951 times)
Bill Rogers
KCA Forum Member

Kragger

bought a new Krag today
Jul 12th, 2015 at 1:56am
Print Post  
I've been trying to find a reasonable Krag rifle for many years to go with my collection of carbines.  I've been kicking myself for 15 years since an auction at Hesse's where I lost out on one of the best I'd ever seen.  I went today to another Hesse auction and there was a Krag rifle with a bayonet.  Everything was in good shape but i do have some questions.  The serial number tells me 1899 the stock is cartouched for 1900 the bayonet is 1902 but that doesn't matter as i have an 1899.  The stock looks good and looks like it matches.  The hardware looks good enough to pass for original.  My question is if the serial number specifically states 1899 what are the chances it was re stocked or maybe late 1899 got a 1900 stock? #153798  I was surprised at the low turnout.  If any of you were there let me know.  I would have said hello!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: bought a new Krag today
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 4:13am
Print Post  
'Bill Rodgers': What source "specifically states" that your model 1898 Krag rifle, serial number 153798, was built in 1899?

Krag receivers were numbered prior to being assembled into complete arms. Krags were not built, accepted, or issued in numerical order. Some estimates would place your rifle's assembly around November, 1898.

Some Krags close to your rifle's serial number were issued to 34th and 35th U.S. Vol. Inf. in August, 1899. (They would have been built and received acceptance 'cartouche' before being issued).

IMHO - It is unlikely a stock with a 1900 'cartouche'  was the original stock on your Krag. More likely, it was switched during refurbishment work.

That doesn't make your Krag 'wrong', just likely 'rebuilt' (many were).

It would be fun to see some pictures!

IP Logged

Bill Rogers
KCA Forum Member

Kragger

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 11:06am
Print Post  
The auction came upon me quite quickly and  I couldn't remember dates and serial numbers off the top of my head so I did a quick search on line and found a brief timeline which looked like it might have come from Brophy's book.  I just went with it.  The gun is in pretty good shape considering some I've seen at shows and auctions.  I'm ok if it was "refurbished".  The stock pieces match well and all the other hardware looks good.  The bayonet is dated 1902 but I have an 1899 bayonet.  All in all I'm happy that I caught it when reviewing the auction items and made the purchase.

IP Logged

Bill Rogers
KCA Forum Member

Kragger

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 11:10am
Print Post  
this was the first thing that popped up when i searched it so i went with it. 

(You need to Login to view media files and links).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
'Bill': Others, more knowledgeable than I, have said 'Bowers' is very incorrect on Krags.

It is very tentative giving a U.S. Krag an exact manufacture date, because of the way they were assembled at Springfield Armory. A numbered Receiver could have 'laid around' for a bit before it was grabbed and assembled into a rifle.

It is believable that your Krag was assembled in late 1898 or early 1899. An 1898 or 1899 acceptance 'cartouche' would more likely be expected.

It would be interesting to know which model rear-sight is now on Krag #153798? Armory updating of most Krag rear-sights required disassembly and removal of stock to change to required hand-guard. Your Krag started its service with the model 1896 sight.

I am not depreciating your Krag. It sounds like you found a nice one! A lot of this "development and updating" is part of what makes them interesting.

IP Logged

Bill Rogers
KCA Forum Member

Kragger

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info on Bowers.  Like I said I really needed a quick reference.  If I had more time I would have been into conversations on this site with a group I feel is very dedicated and knowledgeable.  I've actually been a member for a very long time but I'm not always as active as I would like to be.  Still working keeps me very busy and a young one also.  Hoping to give him all of my Krags someday.  While not a computer genius I'll try to get some photos onsite.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jul 12th, 2015 at 1:33pm:
. . . Armory updating of most Krag rear-sights required disassembly and removal of stock to change to required hand-guard. . .

I doubt Armory workers bothered removing stocks to pull off handguards and change sights. If a handguard cracked (possibly less likely when new), there were a bunch more in the parts bins.

A quick examination of the handguard clip contours shows they were probably designed to be pulled up and pushed down with alacrity.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
I find myself in a minor (and rare) disagreement with 'Parashooter', whose knowledge I much respect.

I am certainly not about to risk cracking a hand-guard to prove the point.

IMHO - My eyes tell me, the clearance 'inletting', of the Krag stock barrel-channel, is insufficient to allow the hand-guard springs the range of motion, that would be necessary to 'snap off and snap on' the hand-guard (with the stock on the rifle).

(I certainly may be proven wrong and will not resent it).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
When my 'new' Krag arrives, it may offer an opportunity to test otherwise.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2015 at 12:01am
Print Post  
I can assure you the clips and matching mortises in the forestock allow handguards to come off and go on quite easily. I've done it dozens of times myself. Yes, sometimes they crack - more now than when they were only 50-60 years old. That's why we have hide glue and some folks who know how to use it to make "invisible" repairs. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2015 at 2:04am
Print Post  
I stand corrected. Parashooter reports having done it.

Armory workers operating under time constraints (and with spare new hand-guards) would certainly have availed themselves of a shortcut and not bothered with unnecessary disassembly.

(I am not in a hurry and can take time with my Krags. It's a bad idea to stress a hand-guard, when good original ones are hard to find, hard to match, and routinely cost $90 to $150).

Still, I am pretty amazed at the nice job Armory workers did in 'matching wood', when a lot of Krags received new sights and hand-guards.

IP Logged

Bill Rogers
KCA Forum Member

Kragger

Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2015 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Here is my attempt at attaching some photos.  I do this all the time from a work computer and I have a different system at home so it's a chance.

IP Logged

Bill Rogers
KCA Forum Member

Kragger

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2015 at 12:50am
Print Post  
and I'll add some more

IP Logged

Bill Rogers
KCA Forum Member

Kragger

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2015 at 12:51am
Print Post  
last 2 photos

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2015 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Bill: Nice looking Model 1898 Krag. The 1901 rear-sight is a versatile one. It looks like everything has been together for a long time and no 'buggered up' screws. How is the bore?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint