Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1st Krag and Hello (Read 3606 times)
Scott_B
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1st Krag and Hello
Aug 15th, 2015 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Hello and excellent site. Bought my first Krag yesterday and wanted to get some knowledgeable eyes on it. To me it looks like a very honest 1900 manufactured rifle. I paid about 475 for it and wondered if that was a fair price. The bore is in great shape and I cant wait to shoot it. I wasn't specifically looking to buy one at this time, but I feel I couldn't pass it up at that price. I hope I did ok.

Thanks in advance, Scott

IP Logged

Scott_B
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1st Krag and Hello
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Next time I'll upload smaller pics, sorry. Here is a link to photo bucket with more.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
'Scott_B' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. That is an exceptional model 1898 Krag you added to your collection. It appears quite correct in your photos.

At that price, you should be 'Housed' in one of Michigan's fine institutions for "those who steal".

BTW - You will not get very good accuracy with the ammunition in your pictures!

IP Logged

Scott_B
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks 'butlersrangers' for the words.

and btw, I actually bought 3 of those and still have no idea if they're authentic or what they were used in. Lol I find it fun researching that kind of stuff.

Thanks again

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Scott...  Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags.  Watch out... they tend to multiply when you're not looking!

I'd have to agree with Chuck - You've stolen that Krag!!!  Rifles in that condition go for $1,200 or more.  Gain some experience with it... and then come shoot in the Nationals in the Vintage Rifle Match with us next year.

Where in Michigan are you?  I'm in Ypsi

IP Logged

Scott_B
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks 'psteinmayer', I'm in a little place called Cottrellville Township which is south of Port Huron about 20 miles. My Daughter just moved to Ypsi from Ann Arbor recently. She graduated UofM and now is going to Eastern. With kids in college I really shouldn't be buying guns, but this has always been one of my grail guns. lol I couldn't pass it up. I didn't realize all the respect people have had for the Krag. It is a beautiful piece of work. The action is so smooth, can't wait to shoot it myself.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
'Scott_B' - Your U.S. Model 1898 Krag-Jorgensen is unusual in that the Action still has very pronounced 'Case-Hardened Colors'. The original 'Springfield Armory Finish' on the Krag has very neat and subtle colors on the various components, reflecting the different techniques used in finishing and hardening the sub-assemblies. The Krag's Finish was rather fragile and many Krags were reconditioned or refurbished in the early 1900s and prior to WW1.

Your Krag has lead a 'sheltered life' and escaped this process.

Most Krag receivers have a finish that has worn to a silvery gray or they display a 'sort of blue refinish'.

Your Krag also has the 1896 rear-sight. Most model 1898 Krags were updated to model 1901 or model 1902 rear-sights. Your rifle also appears to have the shorter .285" front-sight blade, (which is correct with the 1896 rear-sight). The later rear-sights required a taller .410" blade.

There is nice agreement between your Krag's (#268826) manufacture date (around June-July, 1900) and its 1900 J.S.A. (James Sumner Adams) - 'Acceptance Cartouche'.

Photo contrasting your Receiver with a more worn Krag Receivers:

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Scott,  If you're looking to get er out for a little fun, and don't mind driving down to this neck of the woods...  there's a great range at Kensington (along I-96 just west of Milford).  Chuck (Butlersrangers) and I have shot there together a couple times.  Also, I'll be shooting my 1898 in a CMP match in Kalamazoo on Saturday, the 29th.  I realize that would be quite a drive... but if you were interested, you could meet me in Ypsi, and ride with me there.  There's usually me, and at least one other Krag (sometimes more). (We also shoot Garands, 1903s, 1917s, and I sometimes compete with an Arisaka too).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint