Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Inherited Krag - What should be my first steps (Read 3269 times)
Stanson22
KCA Forum Member

Krag Newbee

Inherited Krag - What should be my first steps
Dec 2nd, 2015 at 2:35am
Print Post  
I just received my grandfather's original military issue 1898 Krag(SN423027). It has not been shot to my knowledge since he was discharged.
I have several questions related to maintenance and cleaning:

What should I be looking for to determine if it's safe to shoot?

Do I need to have a professional gunsmith look it over?

What is safe to use on the wooden parts for cleaning or sealing and what is the process?

What other parts should I be cleaning?

I don't want to change the patina so what should I avoid?

This weapon obviously holds a huge amount of sentimental value and I want to ensure that it's in as good a shape as possible when I hand it down to my grandson.
I'm also looking for original accessories:
Bayonet
Sling
Scabbard
Cleaning rods
Oil container

What can I expect to pay for these things?

Thanks!

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
                                    George Orwell

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Inherited Krag - What should be my first steps
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
First, let me welcome you to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags.  Beware:  Krags are addictive, and tend to multiply in gun safes...

Inheriting a Krag is wonderful, especially when you know that your relative (grandfather in your case) actually carried it in military use!  Wanting to keep it and pass it on is equally wonderful.  If possible, please post some pictures of your Krag, including the rear sight, front sight, receiver showing the serial, stock cartouche, and overall shots.  That way, 1.) we can give you a relatively decent estimate of it's condition and value, and 2.) we can enjoy your Krag with you!

Some things to check:  First, take a close look at the bolt around the area of the locking lug.  You are looking for obvious cracks (usually caused by using ammo that is hotter than the normal Krag load).  Look down the bore using a bore light, or by removing the bolt and looking at a light through the bore.  You are looking for corrosion, dirt, plugged bore, or a ring in the bore.  Any competent gunsmith can check these things for you too. 

The ammo you should look for is Remington 30-40 Krag with 180 grain corelokt bullets.  This is the most common factory load and is completely safe.  Winchester ammo is also available, but less common to find these days.

As for the cleaning, clean the bore and metal with any decent cleaner like Hoppes #9.  Oil with a good oil like Hoppes or Remington oil.  Clean the wood with any decent furniture or wood cleaner.  Stay away from anything that would strip a finish.  IF you disassemble to clean it, DO NOT try to snap the handguard off.  You must remove the rear sight first, then remove the barreled action from the stock, and finally slide the handguard off the barrel.  Reassemble in reverse order.

Welcome aboard

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
More info...

As for the sling, Turner Saddlery has about the best reproduction slings.  The Trapdoor and Krag 1887 sling or the Krag 1903 sling are period accurate.  If you intend on shooting in competitions as many of us do, the 1907 sling would be a better choice, and it is also period accurate.

As for the Bayonet, cleaning rods and oiler, they are usually found on sites like EBay or GunBroker.  You can always find them at gun shows too.  Here in Michigan, we have an Antique Arms Collector's show a few times a year, and you can always find these items, as well as original slings, ammo, etc. 

Hope this all helps!
Paul

IP Logged

Stanson22
KCA Forum Member

Krag Newbee

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info.
Here are the pics you suggested.
I'll post pics of the bolt and magazine after this one.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
                                    George Orwell

IP Logged

Stanson22
KCA Forum Member

Krag Newbee

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
More pics: Bolt and Magazine plus second cartouche found underneath stock up toward the trigger guard.

George Orwell

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Well, it appears that you have a very nice 1898 rifle that has not been fiddled with, as so many have over the years.  It has the 1901 rear sight, which some find to be best when shooting competitively (I prefer the 1902 myself).  Have you looked in the butt plate trap?  you may already have the cleaning rods and oiler.  The circled P behind the trigger guard is the proof mark, which indicates that the rifle passed the proof firing.  The cartouche on the left side of the stock is the acceptance cartouche indicating that the rifle passed inspection.

IP Logged

Stanson22
KCA Forum Member

Krag Newbee

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks. 
I did open the butt plate trap and there is nothing there.  How many rods should there be? I ask because on the inside of the trap plate there are 3 small circles in the shape of a triangle that look like the end of the rods rubbed against it.

George Orwell

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
There should be three rod pieces.  The oiler goes in first into a small well, and then the rods are inserted into the three stock holes.  Most people put a couple patches or maybe a piece of paper towel in there before closing the trap.   This keeps the rods from rattling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint