Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Help with Model 1898 Progeny (Read 2240 times)
a.10brink
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Help with Model 1898 Progeny
Dec 12th, 2015 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
My grandfather has long told me that I would inherit his Model 1898 Krag Springfield Rifle.  As my interest in this weapon has grown I have done quite a bit of research in regards to this firearm for my own satisfaction and to share with my grandfather.  I took possession of the Krag this last weekend and my heart dropped out when I first pulled it out of the case and saw a barrel much shorter than 30".

However I could not get over the fact that this gun did not look modified.  So after so more research and a late night I believe that what I have in fact inherited is a 1898 Carbine.  This firearm seems to have all of the necessary features to suggest this.  The forward site is a 1/4" knife site.  The rear site is stamped with a "C" and graduated to 2000 yds.  The saddle ring is intact on the left side of the stock.  The serial number is 127789.  I have attached a series of pictures in a word document for review.

I am looking for help in confirming that this is in fact the carbine as well as any other information in helping track down this guns progeny.

Thank you all for the assistance.

(You need to Login to view media files and links) ( 618 KB | 30 Downloads )

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Help with Model 1898 Progeny
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
'a.10brink' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. Your Grandfather gave you a Wonderful Christmas Present!

It (#127789) does indeed appear to be a perfectly correct U.S. Model 1898 Krag Carbine.

Only around 5,000 real model 1898 carbines were made by Springfield Armory. Many of these were updated to Model 1899 carbine configuration, with later model rear-sights and a longer forearm stock.

Yours is the original model 1898 carbine configuration with a model 1896 carbine rear-sight (sight is worth $500-$600 by itself). You have the 'short forearm' stock, carbine 'sling-bar', and sight protecting barrel band. (Value of the Carbine is probably in the $1,800 to $2,500 range for 'insurance purposes'. But, as a gift from 'Grandpa', it should be priceless).

Model 1898 carbines are often faked, because they are relatively rare, valuable, and saw use during the Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection.

My copy of Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition, listsĀ  Krag #127774 as an 1898 carbine, in the book's Appendix. So, there are other carbines (as well as rifles) near your serial number.

Stamped on your Stock, just behind the 'carbine-ring', there should be an 'Acceptance Cartouche' (round-cornered box with initials & date). The initials are a fancy "JSA" for James Sumner Adams and the date should be "1898". On the Stock behind the trigger-guard, there should be a 'circled script P'. This signifies the carbine was Proofed and function tested.

Hope this all helps and Merry Christmas!

(Photo in my collection - 5th District Scouts, Angeles, Philippine Islands, Feb. 6, 1901, with model 1896 carbines).

IP Logged

a.10brink
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Help with Model 1898 Progeny
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
'butlersrangers'

Thank you for the confirmation those markings do appear as you describe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint