Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Sporterizing howto (Read 11394 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Sporterizing howto
Reply #15 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 12:35am
Print Post  
You are doing some beautiful machine work, Fred C!

(BTW - U.S. Model 1917 Enfields were an adaptation of the Pattern 1914 Enfield, being manufactured by Winchester, Remington, and Eddystone for Great Britain. The tooling, gauging and threads were to British specifications and design. The Krag and 1903 Springfield share a different ancestry than the U.S. made Enfields).

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks, BR.
I am familiar with some of the 1917 Enfield history, have read it was to be originally a 7 MM somewhere between the '06 and 7mm Remington Mag without a belt. The great war was looming so a decision to chamber it in 303 was made to prevent having a cartridge change was made. My father's has a .311 barrel and mine was rebarreled in WW2 with a 2 land Johnson Automatics barrel. I have never seen a drawing or a photo of the intended 7mm. In the early 50s the Brits were still trying for a 7mm but with a smaller case during the NATO trials.
Incidentally my Enfield with the 2 land barrel shoots a 1/2 high by 1 1/2 wide group with  a 4 power Weaver and no accurizing of any kind. different loads seem to make no difference.
I am almost finished with setting the barrel back to cover a bad spot in the chamber on my father's. I am going to ream the neck and throat for 303 bullet and see which of the 2 shoots best. The other has a 6.5mm barrel waiting for it.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Fred C, before you start reaming on the .311 barrel, read about the 1917 barrels in Hatcher's Notebook.  The decision to standardize P-14 parts for US 1917 production included leaving the .303 barrels in production and simply chambering them for the Springfield case. 

A 1917 with an original barrel should shoot .311 bullets more accurately than they ever shot .308 bullets.  That is why they shoot so well with cast bullets.

WW2 2-groove barrels shoot OK because they only have half as many places for sloppy work.  Often the 4-groove barrels have 2 pairs of grooves of differing diameters.

The .276 Enfield cartridge was just a bit smaller than the .280 Ross.  That is why the 1914-1917 action is so big.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Quote "A 1917 with an original barrel should shoot .311 bullets more accurately than they ever shot .308 bullets.  That is why they shoot so well with cast bullets."
That is why I had the .311 reamer made. I had shot 303 bullets before the neck area was damaged and thought they worked well. My first reamer was standard 30 06 and now It will not chamber 303 bullets.
This is the second Enfield my father purchased, he bought one and his friend liked it so much my dad gave it to him. He then bought this one that was new in the cosmoline for $7.00. It was made from parts, some Remington and some Eddystone.

Thanks for the tip on the 280 ross and 276 Enfield, I had never seen that info before.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
The 7X57mm Mauser rifle and cartridge sure got the attention of the British Military, during the Anglo-Boer War in South Africa. (and the U.S. Military during the 'Spanish War').

In the early 1900s, lighter Spitzer BT projectiles, driven at higher velocities, were replacing heavy RN bullets, for most of the World's military powers.

The Pattern 1913 'Enfield' rifles, produced in 'Trial Numbers' at Vickers, Ltd., fired a .282 inch, 165 grain, projectile at 2,800 FPS. As 'reincarnated' pointed out, WW1 stopped this development.

Vickers focused on making Machineguns! (Gauges, tooling, and blueprints came to U.S. manufacturers to produce .303" Pattern 1914 rifles on contract for Britain).

Photo of rare Pattern 1913, .276 Enfield cartridge packet, and comparison of cartridges:

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Good info. I thought the Brit's 7mm was still born and maybe a case or 2 existed in some museum somewhere. Actual photos exist and mere mortals can touch real cartridges. Wow!

It is funny that such a large action was thought to be necessary,  maybe they were thinking that an upgrade to a longer cartridge could have been in the future. Even the Ross does not look so big that it would not have fit in normal action.

Myself I have never seen a need for magnum cartridges. The pig in the photo was hit with a 150 grain varmit/target boat tail hollow point in the shoulder and was dead before he hit the ground. Estimated weight 500 to 600 lbs. This guy had a fair amount of domestic pig in him most black wild pigs here top out at somewhere around 350lbs.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 12:03am
Print Post  
In post #11 I mentioned that the reamer was being remade by PTG. I got the reamer later that month and asked some experienced gunsmiths about finishing using the corrected reamer and they said doing it by hand on an assembled barrel and action would be easy as it is done quite often.
So I made a brass extension to allow me to reach through the receiver, then a .010 thick shim to ride on the reamer to keep it from changing the head space. When I original threaded and installed the barrel the head space was set .001 over the minimum or go gauge limit and I did not want to change that. The shim stopped the reamer from advancing when the rim portion of the reamer contacted the shim.
You can see the brass shim stuck on the barrel face, the reamer turned with a little resistance till it hit the shim on the barrel face, then the turning effort went to zero. I had filled the recesses in the receiver with shredded paper towel and modeling clay to make the clean up easier.
With the area just in front of the rim at the correct size, new and resized cartridges chamber and extract easily.
Loads for this rifle were discussed in this thread and fixing the chamber should not change any of the data by more than a smidgen: (You need to Login to view media files and links)
If anyone is interested in doing another 35 Krag I would sell the almost unused reamer for 1/2 price.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint