Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 1899 Remington Lee (Read 14706 times)
Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

1899 Remington Lee
Dec 28th, 2015 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
I've got it in my mind that I want to try and find and acquire a '99 Remington Lee.  I know what your thinking.  It's a fool's errand.  Here be the fool.

Would you guys be willing to help me in the search since I am here in Derkaland?  I am looking of one in good shape and has all of its parts and does not involve me selling blood or plasma, arms and legs, or being a toy providing "favors" for elderly women.  Moonshining and likker running, however, is good to go.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1899 Remington Lee
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
'Culpeper' - What is "Derkaland"? .... And what's wrong with being a 'Boy Toy' for an Elderly Woman? That rogue, Ben Franklin, said "they really appreciate it" !

I can't help you on a model 1899 Remington Lee, because, I also lust for one. It's a Michigan thing!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Derka land is Afghanistan or any locale where derka is spoken meaning the mid east region or Flint and a few other places in Michigan. 

Hmmmmm.  Maybe we have been taking Ol' Ben's words in the wrong way for two hundred years when he said Early to bed, Early to rise.  Maybe he was getting his groove on with the ladies in the morning and not like the rest of the slackers who were tuckered out after a day of slaving at work.  Shrewd guy that Franklin.

Maybe that Guardsman will sell his rifle.  Great picture.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Almost 50 years of gunshows, maybe I have seen a couple, not more.  But they do show up.  If you can find someone who is going to the big shows in Las Vegas or Reno, those would be where they are likely to show up.  Maybe you can find someone who attends regularly & is into 19th Century militaria to hunt for one.  Maybe you could put in a standing order.  I don't know who to suggest.

Another source might be the big auction houses; Amoskeag, Julia, Rock Island, Cowan's.  I don't know if they help in such searches, but they might.  I think you will pay a lot for one.

I

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Most of the model 1899 Remington-Lee Rifles, I have seen, were cut-down to be 'Deer Rifles'. The full length 'as issued' ones, I have seen at shows, were repaired in the stock-wrist area. The Remington-Lee was a fragile rifle compared to the Krag.

Here's my Mom's Uncle, Bernard Grimmeke, (first soldier kneeling on left) in photo. (Michigan State Troops at 1900 encampment, named - "Ft. Bliss", at Manistee, Mi.). Note - Sergeants have Krag equipment.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Hey Paul....  You looking to go to Perry next year with a Remington Lee now???  LOL 

Chuck and I will have to check the next Michigan Antique Arms Collectors show in February.

I'm looking for my own next competition rifle - a 1903A3 so I can shoot Springfield and score the three gun aggregate!  Time to start selling on EBay....

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
A Remington Lee to Camp Perry?  Did not think about that but I do like the way you think.  No, it is an idea from several years ago to have a Rem-Lee to go with the Win-Lee's and the 1895 and the Krags. One way is the Lee connection and the other way is the .30-40 connection.

The problem is I found a Remington Lee a few hours after I wrote the request.  The person wants 3200 bucks for it and boy is it purty.  The other problem is I am over here for the next year and do not have anyone to pick it up for me.

I sent Butlersrangers a pm so he could have first bite at the apple while I fiddle with my thumbs trying to figure out how to make this happen.  Anybody want to buy a rifle and sell/transfer to me next year while I am on vacation?

Well you could borrow my A3 if I was back in the States.  I certain there a hundreds of A3s on gunbroker or you could put the word out on the WTB section over on the CMP forum.  Those guys are a good bunch.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I would love to borrow an A3 from you Paul.... IF you WERE here!  I looked at Gunbroker, but they are all way out of my price reach.  I had a chance to get a Smith Corona or Remington (there were several) at Camp Perry during Nationals week last year, but I didn't have the money and passed.  Then, this last July, they didn't have any.  I'm looking to keep it under a thousand.  I know a guy who has several to sell, but they are all repaired parade rifles that had had the magazine cutoffs welded (he fixes them to working order).  Legal for CMP use, but not appealing to me.  I'll keep my ears to the ground though...

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
I think the guys on CMP would be you best bet.  Just post a WTB and see what happens.  Make sure to state no drill rifles.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
And No "National Ordnance" or "Santa Fe Arms" receivers!

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
If I had an 1899 Remington Lee on the list of things I really wanted, seems to me that $3200 is not too far out of line. 

Once upon a time, I wanted an original Winchester Lee Navy.  I had $2500 in the cookie jar, but by then the price had jumped to $4K.  Then the news of the fatal accident went round and I no longer needed one.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I read about Glenn deRuiter's unfortunate event after I had bought two Winchester-Lees.  Then there was the blow up November 2014 that destroyed another rifle but the gentleman lived.  It appears both were using resized .30-40 brass and fast powder.  I do not think there would be a problem if they, or anyone else for that matter, were to use 220 Swift brass for their loadings.

I do not have too much fear of my rifles since I am sitting on something like 140 pieces of 6mm USN brass.  The only problem I have is coming up with a proper load with a proper powder.  Sharpe's book is the only place that mentions some powders as we know them.  The references in the original War Dept. pamplets are for a long obsolete powder.  The only ones I reckonize is 2400 and 4064 and that is from a Sharpe's book written in 1938.

I will not use 220 swift loads as a foundation for the 6mm.  They are way to hot.

Go ahead and save your money and get a Win-Lee.  See you on the line at Camp Perry.

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2016 at 5:27am by Culpeper »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
"They don't make um like they use to"!

Powder manufacturers, ownership, identifying numbers and data have changed so much in the last 25 years, it makes my head spin. IMHO - There is nothing all that new in propellants. Brands and numbers just change.

I kind of like to stay with the IMR-powders for continuity. I have other powder brands, I started using 20 years ago, that are not available anymore.

Like RCA-Victor phonograph Records use to say: "Buy without fear of obsolescence" ..... Ha Ha Ha!

"I love the smell of Whistler & Aspinwall in the morning".

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I stick to IMR also for continuity.  I do use Accurate 5744 in my cast loads... and a couple others for pistol loads, but for my main rifles, it's IMR.  For what it's worth, IMR 4350 is the closest to the Laflin & Rand .30 powder used in the original .30 USA round, although it's double based.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Well, it looks like I have to put of my dream of the 1899 on hold.  Reality is a bummer as the hippies of old used to say.  I am only 47G away from a paid off house and 3200 would go a long way towards that goal.  Oh why did I have to look at my financials on January 1st?

Perhaps I should sell some of my krag carbine sights for a profit and put the money to the house.

Hmmmmmm.  Huh

Nope.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint