Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
My Krag (Read 3007 times)
mike ward
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

My Krag
Jan 5th, 2016 at 3:02am
Print Post  
I recently purchased this rifle.  I knew it had been sporterized from the length, but was good with the price and the parts all looked original, although maybe not to the serial number.  I have done some research on the internet and used Joe Poyer's book, so I think I know some things but would like to see if I am right

It has serial number 416882 which I think was built in Sept/Oct 1903.  It appears to have a 1892 Type 1B stock (wrist dimension, flat butt, crescent shape bolt handle ), a 1896 forend(? I have not removed it) a 1896 Type 4 rear sight with a 1901/2 front sight.  the stock has a square cleaning rod (?) channel

the barrel appears to be shortened to between 23 an 24 inches and the overall rifle length is 43".  the stock has been worked and has no cartouche. 

overall, the rifle has been taken care of the crown on the muzzle looks to have been done very well by someone who knew what he was doing.  I have shot 8 rounds thru it at 25 yards and had good groups.

I have attached pics, if anyone has any additional/corrections to my thoughts, they are welcome.  I would like to put it in a more military correct config. I think my options would be either a carbine or "Phillipine Constabulary" version

Mike Ward

IP Logged

mike ward
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My Krag
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Here are more pics

Mike Ward

IP Logged

mike ward
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 3:07am
Print Post  
more pics

Mike Ward

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Mike Ward: Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your receiver, #416882, would have been built around October, 1902 (calendar year), as an infantry rifle (30" barrel).

You should precisely measure your barrel, from muzzle to closed bolt-face, with a cleaning rod. Whoever, mounted that front sight base on your barrel, did a very nice job. What I can see in your photo looks armory!

Krag barrels measured: 22" for carbine, 30" for rifle, and 26" on the rare Board of Ordnance and Fortifications trial rifles. I am just curious about the exact length of your barrel.

Your rifle is a model 1898 Krag that someone has put into a cut-down model 1892 (updated to 1896) rifle stock.

If it were my Krag, I would shop for a nice 'cut-down' model 1898 rifle stock to replace the 1896 stock. This would give you a nice carbine looking Krag for Hunting and Shooting.

(It would look similar to my favorite shooter in photo).

IP Logged

mike ward
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Butlersrangers,

Thanks for the info. 

I agree, the front sight base was what alerted me that the previous owner had professional work done.  It just looks too good.  Even the distance from the muzzle looks good by comparing to pics.

I will get the right barrel length.  I have been curious as to what work was done because the crown looks as good as the sight base.

Mike W

Mike Ward

IP Logged

mike ward
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
the barrel length is 24 1/8" using a cleaning rod and closed bolt.

Mike Ward

Mike Ward

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Not an uncommon thing to find in a sporterized Krag.  My sporter also has a nice crown, original sight base installed, and a 24 inch barrel.  Yours is a very nice looking Krag though... and should be a great shooter!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint