Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
More "J.S.A." Trivia (Read 4230 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

More "J.S.A." Trivia
Jan 10th, 2016 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
I recently got a look at the 1880 U.S. Census for Springfield, Ma., as well as, some additional Vital Records for Hampden County. Here are some additional observations and 'facts':

"J.S.A.'s" full name was Joseph Sumner Adams. He is listed as Joseph S. Adams in the 1860 (Saco, Maine) and 1880 & 1930 (Springfield, Ma.) U.S. Censuses.

He appears to have registered for the CW Draft, prior to July 1, 1863, at Saco, Maine, as "Adams, Sumner J., age 25, Machinist, single". (Either, there is an error about his being 'Single', or I have the wrong man).

A marriage is recorded, 29 September, 1862, between Jos. Sumner Adams and Sarah P. Rumery at Saco, York County, Maine. (Later records indicate Sumner was almost age 24 and Sarah was age 19 on their wedding date).

Sumner and Sarah had a total of five children. The first two died in Springfield of Scarlett Fever: The only son, John Sumner Adams, died June 17, 1867, (age 3 yrs. & 11 Mo.). The first daughter, Etta Belle Adams, died June, 22, 1867, (age 2 yrs.).

Three other daughters, Allice "Gertrude" (born February, 1868), Martha Rumery (born June, 1870), and Bessie Louise (born August, 1874), survived childhood and were still alive in 1940.

J. Sumner Adams and Sarah P. were married for 68 years and lived at #99 Bay St. (Springfield, Ma.) for at least 50 years.

Joseph Sumner Adams died in August, 1931, age 92 years & 10 months (A preponderance of records indicate he was born in 1838, although the 1900 Census gives 'Oct. 1836' as DOB).

Sarah P. (Rumery) Adams died in October 1934, age 91 years & 6 months. (She was born in April, 1843).

Records indicate they are both buried at the Springfield Cemetery.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: More "J.S.A." Trivia
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 3:51am
Print Post  
Photograph of Joseph Sumner Adams and his wife, Sarah P. (Rumery), probably taken at their home on 99 Bay Street, after his 1920 retirement from Springfield Armory.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 11:05am
Print Post  
It's possible he registered for the draft as single for personal reasons unknown to anyone.  Very interesting reading though!  I wonder what kind of man he was... kind and gentle or mean and crotchety?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
'AFJuvat' did all KCA members a nice favor by sharing his knowledge of the SA achieves link and photos of J. Sumner Adams.

I had been looking long and hard for a photograph of J.S.A. without success. It is neat to have a bit more insight and information about the man, whose initials appear on many of our Krag rifles.

It is interesting to learn more about the facility and manufacture of the U.S. Firearms, so many of us enjoy.

I am guessing "JSA" had to be a happy and pleasant Old Machinist.

He had a long career at Springfield Armory and received promotions and good pay. He had secure employment in a premier facility and witnessed the evolution of U.S. Arms from the model 1861 Springfield to the advanced WW1 versions of the model 1903 Springfield.

JSA built and owned his own home a short walk from work. He lived there over 50 years.

He and his wife, Sarah, must have enjoyed good health. They both lived into their 90s and they were married for 68 years. They had three adult daughters, who lived nearby and were involved with them.

A long life around beautiful rifles and 'Range Time', JSA had to be a good guy!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 11:02am
Print Post  
I agree.  He looks like a charming man.  I imagine he was a loving husband and father who lived a life worth living!  We should all be so fortunate...

IP Logged

bumpkis
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Great info on JSA!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint