Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New guy in Ohio (Read 1945 times)
birddog1148
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New guy in Ohio
Jan 30th, 2016 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Hello, new guy here from Ohio.  A year or 2 ago I bought a carbine from Dupage trading that was advertised as a former movie prop, I think Gunga Din or something like that.  The carbine was not complete and I knew that when I ordered it but could not pass it up for $200.  I got it looked it over and put it in my gun rack and have not done anything with it yet.  Now I see that the CMP may be having a Roosevelt Match at Camp Perry this summer and since my 1903 is a low number rifle I cant shoot it so I would like to get this one up and running so to speak.  I know I need a front sight blade, a hand guard, a rear sight, rear sling swivel and a safety.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New guy in Ohio
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Welcome to the KCA Forum, 'birddog1148'.

Some close and detailed pictures would allow others to give better guidance and suggestions on your project.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Being a former movie prop...  it's possible that it's also a cutdown rifle, which is not uncommon (check Atticus Finch shooting a rabid dog with a sporter in To Kill A Mockingbird).  As Chuck said, post some pictures, especially showing the muzzle/front sight, rear sight, and overall showing the stock.  Also, measure your barrel from the muzzle to the closed bolt face.  Anything other than exactly 22 inches is almost certainly a rifle that has been sporterized or faked.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
A couple of weeks ago, I watched the 1943 movie, "For Whom the Bell Tolls" on TCM.

I had not seen it, since I was a 'Kid'. In fact, I did not know it was made in 'Technicolor', since we had a Black & White T.V.

My favorite character/performance was "Pilar", the female leader. The part was played by Greek actress, Katina Paxinou, who, as I later found out, won the 1944 'Oscar' for "Best Supporting Actress". (She carried & used a Krag through the movie).

Lots of short Mausers in the movie, but, by the end: Three out of Four Anti-Facists prefer Krag-Jorgensens!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks a lot Chuck...   Now there's ANOTHER movie I gotta go watch!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint