Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Stock stamps (Read 5593 times)
raceratb
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Stock stamps
Feb 20th, 2016 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Does anyone in the group loan/rent stock stamps? I have a 1902, and I'd like to freshen up the stamps after I refinish

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Stock stamps
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
'raceratb' - That practice would run contrary to the Ethics of most Gun Collectors.

IP Logged

raceratb
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 4:59am
Print Post  
If you were trying to pass a replica off as original, but if it is already there, it's already there. There are other techniques to deepen it, but a stamp is easiest. There are some dents that need streaming, and they are close.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 5:15am
Print Post  
What you propose is, in my opinion, unethical. Stop and really, really, think for a second - who, exactly, are you truly fooling??? It MAY look "better", but there is also the possibility that it will look worse. The stamps marketed by the scumbags on Ebay and elsewhere are NOT perfect copies, so, your comment that it is already there holds little water, and anyone who sees it will know it is not right.

I would not re-stamp it even if I had the original SA die!

I'm not the administrator, but I am a charter member of KCA, and, I will say, right up front that if any member did assist in furthering this effort, I would strongly recommend they be reprimanded, or asked to leave.

Nothing "personal" at all - IMHO, it's just wrong.

IP Logged

raceratb
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Would you consider replacing the cut forend fraud, refinishing? Metal refinishing? Replacing parts, a screw, a barrel? Any repair not done by the arsenal isn't original, I would like to have a nice shooter that looks like it should have. I bought a cut down, and it would like to put it back to what it looked like when it was first made. I'm going to refinish the wood, some of the metal and replace the cut down barrel. I know it's not original more would I try to pass it off as original. I wouldn't consider this fraud no more that restoring a car would be fraud, it's restored. If I kept it a carbine it would be a replica.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Sorry... but I gotta side with Butlersrangers and Mr Hosmer on this one!  Making a cartouche appear deeper and more prevalent is like trying to make it look new... and this is a rifle that is over a century old.  ANY krag rifle at that age would look worn unless it spent it's entire life in a museum... and there just ain't no such of a thing!  This is NOT like restoring a car - A restored car is worth much more than one that is original and beat up... UNLESS it spent it's entire life in a museum.  Rifles, like Krags are always more desirable and in demand when they are original, including looking worn!

I mean no disrespect...  but I gotta go with unethical also.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
raceratb wrote on Feb 21st, 2016 at 7:17pm:
Would you consider replacing the cut forend fraud, refinishing? Metal refinishing? Replacing parts, a screw, a barrel? Any repair not done by the arsenal isn't original, I would like to have a nice shooter that looks like it should have. I bought a cut down, and it would like to put it back to what it looked like when it was first made. I'm going to refinish the wood, some of the metal and replace the cut down barrel. I know it's not original more would I try to pass it off as original. I wouldn't consider this fraud no more that restoring a car would be fraud, it's restored. If I kept it a carbine it would be a replica.

I asked myself all of these questions reading this thread as all of my Krags are "restored". They are all stretched back to their original military config but funny, I would not add a cartouche that is not already there. I'll have to puzzle that one out for myself just so that I understand my own thoughts on a rational level.

I can say, without any puzzlement, that for me adding or dressing up a cartouche just aint right. True, I put the forestock back on my rifles but adding the cartouche, well, the only word I can think of is counterfeit. It's adding something, taking something to a level that just isn't there. I have a model 1898 I restored that has a beautiful cartouche and circled P, they were there, I did not have to add them.

I guess, as I think about this, repair is one thing, embellishment is another. Adding or enhancing a cartouche is a step towards falsification in the view of most of us.

Come to think of it, I don't really "refinish" my rifles, ever. If they have dents and dings I'm ok with that. I do try to match the existing the finish that is on the rifle as best as I can.

IP Logged

raceratb
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Do you consider a Mitchell's mauser a fraud, or a replica? What about adding a stamp to the inside indicating rework, as many shops do? Plus any rework would be easily identified since it wouldn't bear the signs of age. Is a new production barrel? At a certain point, a restored gun is worth more than something beat (unless it's uber rare), depending on the market, and I've seen refinished guns go for more than original if it's bad enough. While I agree fraud is fraud, it's interesting to see where the line is drawn. For some, any change at all from it's its original state is fraud. For some it's anything, that isn't fraud. Always interesting to touch a nerve.

IP Logged

raceratb
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Here is an even more interesting hypothetical, what if a gun does have historical significance, but it was altered along it's way significantly. Would it's restoration be acceptable, and I mean a complete documented restoration, stamps, finishes, as if it just came out of the factory...
And if you do accept this, can you still say no to one without the history, assuming the same transparency

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 4:59am
Print Post  
raceratb wrote on Feb 22nd, 2016 at 1:20am:
Here is an even more interesting hypothetical, what if a gun does have historical significance, but it was altered along it's way significantly. Would it's restoration be acceptable, and I mean a complete documented restoration, stamps, finishes, as if it just came out of the factory...
And if you do accept this, can you still say no to one without the history, assuming the same transparency

For me the answer is no.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 6:43am
Print Post  
This has been a truly interesting discussion.

Everything has its' shades and nuances - what is OK for one is not for another, and there sometimes is a VERY fine line. For me:

Repairs, with original parts, are OK. Replacing screws is OK. Stock-stretching is OK with disclosure. Cleaning and re-oiling wood is OK.

Refinishing of original (obviously you have to do a stretcher) wood, especially with a non-original material, varnish, synthetic, etc. is wrong. Rebluing is frowned on - over-buffing and applying a modern 'black chrome' finish should be a felony.

Adding marks is wrong (and kinda self-delusional in a way). Changing parts to create a scarce variant is wrong.

Of course, when one starts with a butchered gun, a lot more can be tolerated because one is actually making a net improvement - I guess where I draw the line is screwing around with a complete, correct original, whose only sin is showing its age.

I could write several pages.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 6:49am
Print Post  
raceratb wrote on Feb 22nd, 2016 at 1:20am:

I this case I would frown heavily on restoration, beyond cleaning and oiling.

I see where you are going, but, to me, the case is somehow "different".

Mitchell's Mausers are in a niche by themselves. They are what they are. I will say, that 200 years from now, I'll bet some guys will be arguing about their authenticity!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
I guess I would have to liken it to a Bannerman.  I have a Bannerman Trapdoor.  Does it look correct?  To an untrained eye, yes (it fooled me and my dad).  Is it correct?  Not by any stretch of the imagination.  By the way, Dick is the one that helped me to correctly determine it as a Bannerman Trapdoor.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
My tuppence in the pot.  I'm mostly into single shots, smallbore target rifles, Winchesters & Krags.  I ground my teeth when I found out that someone makes roll stamps to be used in "restoring" or reproducing original 19th-Century Winchester (and other) barrels.  The stock stamps are much the same.  Unethical IMHO.  Hopefully, our rifles will outlast us and our grandchildren.  Somewhere along the line, those restorations will be passed off as the real thing.  Has Turnbull done any Krags?

Are Mitchell's Mausers any different than Bannerman or Sedgely military-pattern rifles?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint