Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Best replacement stock (Read 3642 times)
raceratb
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Best replacement stock
Feb 25th, 2016 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Considering how much the original stocks go for on eBay, I'm thinking it might make more financial sense to get a reproduction rifle stock and sell mine. Who makes the best one, I've seen Boyd's, Macon, Dunlap and timber ridge carving. Any thoughts on who makes the best, or if something is to be avoided at all costs

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Best replacement stock
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 3:33am
Print Post  
In all seriousness, if you have decided to go for a replacement stock, does anyone make a laminated wood job in strange colors?  If I wanted a knock-about Krag, (I'm too old) I would consider one.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
If you are considering a replacement...  Boyd's are what most go with... however, beware - Boyd's stocks are usually very rough and require a ton of work to fit to the action.  I've even heard one person state that it looked like his stock was carved with a chain saw!

Now... as far as a laminated stock goes, if you ever intend to shoot this Krag in a sanctioned CMP match, whether at Camp Perry, or even a local CMP match, it will be a disqualifying modification.  As issued means that any replacement parts, including the stock, must conform to the original specifications.  In other words, if you buy an aftermarket rear sight, it must be exactly like an original.  A Boyd's stock, or another replacement in walnut that matches an original would be acceptable.

If you just want something to bang away at a range, or hunt with... you could always get a sporter stock... which a laminated stock would be no different.

IP Logged

raceratb
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
The Boyd's looked pretty rough, anyone have experience with the other options

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Probably the best option is to shop around for a good 'cut-down' original stock and splice on a quality reproduction forearm.

There are a couple of parts vendors and a hand-guard/forearm maker advertised in the KCA Forum classifieds. The parts vendors have original wood - IIRC.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 12:15am
Print Post  
If you want a reproduction stock (You need to Login to view media files and links) are the best, not the cheapest but the best!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint