Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 New Member's New 1898 (Read 4811 times)
BryanJ
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Member's New 1898
Mar 2nd, 2016 at 2:09am
Print Post  
Hello.  I'd like to get your opinions on my new Krag I got this weekend.  I could not pass it up for $675, and in the same photos is a 16" Springfield bayonet I also picked up this weekend for $130.  This is my first Krag, so any advice you could provide for a new owner would be appreciated, especially good source for ammo.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Member's New 1898
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 4:50am
Print Post  
BryanJ: Welcome to the KCA Forum. You obtained a nice looking model 1898 Krag rifle!

If it has a nice bore, you did very well at $675. The sling, muzzle cover/sight protector, cleaning rods and oiler, add up to about $200 in accessories.

Krag #188711 was assembled around April, 1899. I cannot clearly make out the date on your Stock's  'Acceptance Cartouche'. Hopefully, it is dated 1899, which would be a nice match.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
I'm on my phone right now, and I couldn't enlarge the pictures enough to take a close look, but from what I can see... it looks great!  Chuck, came you tell if that is an 02 or a 98 rear sight?  I was trying to see...  This would be a great rifle to shoot in Vintage Matches, or the Roosevelt Match at Camp Perry.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
I can't tell for sure on the rear-sight, Paul. I thought it might be a model 1898 base, but, that could just be the picture angle. (The slide on the sight leaf appears 1902).

I believe BryanJ's stock may be of Italian walnut. It is a pretty Krag with nice color on the receiver!
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2016 at 4:08pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
BryanJ: Could you take a moment and look at the spring in your rear-sight base, to determine if it is a 1902 base? (Also, check both sides of the base for a small letter "c" - found on carbine sights).

Your serial number (#188711) is high enough that your rifle was made after the 1898 sight was discontinued.

The 1898 sight had three sighting notches and the curve on its base was 'flatter' for a higher velocity cartridge. The 'hotter' cartridge and its sight were discarded after some Krags developed cracks in their Bolt 'locking-lug'.

The leaf and blade of the 1898 sight was altered to a single sight notch and re-used to make a variation of the 1902 sight. As far as I know, the 1898 sight bases were never Officially re-used, but, ended up on the surplus market.

The 1902 carbine rear-sight has a 'shorter' base than the rifle version. Carbine sights are rare and worth more than rifle sights.

I am posting a picture of each type of spring, so you can identify the type of base you have. 

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
From what I could see... it appeared to have a curve more like that of the 98... But that could have just been the angle as you said.

I agree on the Italian Walnut too.  Very pretty stock.  If the bore is good, then it's a home run!!!

IP Logged

BryanJ
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen.  I really appreciate the feedback and I added a couple of photos of the rear sight spring and base, there are no "c" stamps.  The stock looks great to me, toward the butt plate the stock become very dark.  The bore has really good rifling, and I added a better photo of the cartouche, which is 1899.  The strap is stamped Rock Island Arsnel.  So, how original does the rifle appear?  I can't see anything that looks like a rebuild stamp anywhere. 

For whatever it's worth, I bought it at a local auction.  The auction sites estimate range was $800-1500, which doesn't mean anything, but I felt fortunate to get it for $675. 

Thanks again

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
BryanJ: Your rifle looks quite 'correct' to me, except for the rear-sight.

Your Stock 'acceptance cartouche', dated 1899, agrees with the likely April, 1899, assembly date.

From 1899 to 1901, Springfield utilized a lot of Italian walnut stock blanks, due to a shortage of cured Black walnut blanks. Your Stock appears to be one of these, to my eye, by its 'fancier grain'. (Because the Italian stocks were a 'light yellow' compared to Black walnut, some units may have stained the lighter stocks for uniformity).

Krag Slings (in fact most U.S. military leather) were made at Rock Island Arsenal, at that time.

The Rear Sight 'problem' IMHO:

1. Your 'fuzzy' sight pictures show a model 1898 rear sight (base and leaf). That sight model was abandoned before your rifle was made.
2. The left side of your sight leaf is smooth revealing it to be an 1898 leaf. (Later and re-used sight leafs had 'cross-hatching' and were grooved on the left side, so that the elevation-slide could more effectively lock into place and hold its setting).
   Your elevation slide is a later type that has a spring-loaded pin on the left-side. (This provides friction and locks into the 'cross-hatching' on the later types of leaf).
3. There is something suspicious about the pin that your sight leaf hinges on. It is either not Armory made or the end has been flattened by pounding.

If I am correct, someone (when and who unknown) has put an incorrect rear-sight of mixed parts on an otherwise proper Krag rifle. If you chose, a model 1902 rear sight is pretty easy to find and probably 'more correct' and uses your current hand-guard and sight screws.

(p.s. Your present 1898 rear-sight blade should have three "v" sighting notches. Also, most U.S. Krags will not have 'rebuild stamps'). 

IP Logged

BryanJ
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 3:40am
Print Post  
I really appreciate the info on the rifle.  I've got a small collection of Garands, carbines, Swedes, 03A3, K31, Mausers, etc., but have never really had a chance to pick up a Krag and I'm not sure why.  IMHO I can't think of any rifle that is more attractive than a Krag.  Can't wait to shoot it!  If it shoots good, I'll post about it.  If it doesn't shoot good, then I'll fib and still post about it.  Thanks again!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 5:39am
Print Post  
'BryanJ' - Your Krag will probably shoot very accurately.

In February 2013, a forum member, 'Florida Native', posted some great pictures of his Grandfather, Fred G. Yerkes, who shot from approximately 1900 to 1913 on the Florida State Team. On older pages of this Forum there are some neat pictures of his shooting medals.

(I thought you might enjoy this Florida connection to Krags).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
One thing about the Krag that is indisputable... and makes Krags so wonderful to shoot is It's accuracy and smooth operation.  The bolt is so butter smooth that when shooting, sometimes you won't know you've picked up a round when cycling the bolt!  It's hands down my favorite rifle to shoot... Especially in Vintage Rifle Matches!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint