Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
McKeever Cartridge Box (new made) (Read 6490 times)
GySgt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

McKeever Cartridge Box (new made)
Mar 3rd, 2016 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
I was looking around for nice example of a McKeever Cartridge box,  original ones hard to come by and usually in fragile condition due to their age, I thought I try to find one that was recently made to have one hand.

I came across Pacific Canvas and Leather Co and the products they make.  I thought I try one of their boxes in brown color.
Being a but skeptical on how it would be was laid to rest when it arrived. 

I was totally impressed with the quality and craftsmanship that when into making this box.  Beautiful leather it was a total surprise on how well it was made.  I am totally pleased.
Comes in Black and Brown and I believe you can order one with a USMC stamping as well. 

Thought I share this unique find.

Thanks for viewing ....

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: McKeever Cartridge Box (new made)
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
That's awesome!  Hows about posting a link for those of us who want one also...

IP Logged

GySgt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Mar 3rd, 2016 at 11:16pm:
That's awesome!  Hows about posting a link for those of us who want one also...

Sure thing,  Here's a link to Pacific Canvas & Leather Company
Super fast shipping and Great Company.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 11:06am
Print Post  
I'm going to order one...  I'll use it in the Roosevelt Match!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Nice reproduction cartridge box. Now, you booth will have to get an '1897' tool to fit into the 'end-bulge'. It just never ends with Krags!

p.s. - (Never mind about the 1897 Tool. It won't fit properly)!
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2016 at 6:22pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
30+ years ago, back in the early 1980s, I took an original to an old time saddle maker, a guy who had been in the custom leather business a long time.  The old timer took a long while explaining to me how the whole box had been constructed and hand sewn, said that he did not have the skill to make an exact copy and that he doubted that anyone still alive had both the skills and the tools necessary.  If this is a reasonable functioning copy, rejoice and order a couple.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
It is never Easy!

Franklin Mallory identified the Krag tool as the "Model 1894 Screwdriver", based on an 1895 Springfield Armory drawing.

IMHO - It is the same tool later sources (and collectors) call a "Model 1897 Screwdriver". To add to the confusion, occasionally a Krag Screwdriver will be seen that appears "armory-misassembled", (in terms of the side the 'drift-pin' is on).

Mallory pointed out that the 1894/1897 screwdriver does not seem to fit the McKeever Cartridge Box. (Which begs the question, where was it carried? In your Sergeant's 'haversack' with the 'pocket-watch shaped oiler')?

The tool actually can be put in the McKeever Box, but, it is not held very securely. The 'drift-pin' on the Krag screwdriver prevents it from sitting very deeply and it easily falls out.

Mallory speculated that possibly the Model 1868 Screwdriver and/or another ... "earlier, simpler two- or three-bladed screwdriver was used in these boxes".

My Model 1876 Combination Tool fits very properly in both my .45-70 and .30-40 McKeever Boxes. (Note - The Model 1879 Tool does not seem intended to be carried in the McKeever Box).

(A word of caution: S&S Firearms sells a $30 repro. of the '1897 Tool' and bogus/modified 1903 Springfield Tools are often listed on Ebay as "Krag Tools").

IP Logged

GySgt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Mar 4th, 2016 at 1:59pm:
Nice reproduction cartridge box. Now, you booth will have to get an '1897' tool to fit into the 'end-bulge'. It just never ends with Krags! (Never mind about the 1897 Tool. It won't fit properly)!

Grin You got that right,  never ends with the Krags

IP Logged

GySgt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Mar 4th, 2016 at 5:57pm:
It is never Easy!

Franklin Mallory identified the Krag tool as the "Model 1894 Screwdriver", based on an 1895 Springfield Armory drawing.

IMHO - It is the same tool later sources (and collectors) call a "Model 1897 Screwdriver". To add to the confusion, occasionally a Krag Screwdriver will be seen that appears "armory-misassembled", (in terms of the side the 'drift-pin' is on).

Mallory pointed out that the 1894/1897 screwdriver does not seem to fit the McKeever Cartridge Box.

The tool actually can be put in the McKeever Box, but, it is not held very securely. The 'drift-pin' on the Krag screwdriver prevents it from sitting very deeply and it easily falls out.

Mallory speculated that possibly the Model 1868 Screwdriver and/or another ... "earlier, simpler two- or three-bladed screwdriver was used in these boxes".

My Model 1876 Combination Tool fits very properly in both my .45-70 and .30-40 McKeever Boxes. (Note - The Model 1879 Tool does not seem intended to be carried in the McKeever Box).

(A word of caution: S&S Firearms sells a $30 repro. of the '1897 Tool' and bogus/modified 1903 Springfield Tools are often listed on Ebay as "Krag Tools").

Thanks for that bit of information, learn something new again today,       Smiley

IP Logged

Rick58
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Hey GySgt I ordered a McKeever from the site you listed got it the other day and am very Happy  thanks for posting the site info.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint