Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 1896 Krag Carbine (Read 7301 times)
Just_Joe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Krag Carbine
Mar 18th, 2016 at 4:42am
Print Post  
I have had a 1896 Krag Carbine sitting in storage since 1995 and finally got it out to shoot. The last 3 inches of the barrel have no twist left. The gun smith said get a new barrel. 
Any opinions or info on where to buy one would be greatly appreciated. This is all original not Sporterized.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Krag Carbine
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
'Just_Joe': Welcome to the KCA Forum. Please post some pictures of your model 1896 Krag carbine for our enjoyment and to get better quality feedback.

I would be very leery of the advice you were given by your "gunsmith". Replacing the barrel on your carbine will destroy its collector value.

I have a hard time understanding how "the last 3 inches of the barrel have no twist left". (Is this at the chamber end or muzzle end of the barrel)?

From my experience, a Krag barrel can be pretty worn and eroded from firing corrosive primed ammunition and still perform well at 50 and 100 yards.

The test of a rifle's accuracy is shooting it. I would give the barrel a good cleaning and try shooting it.

An experienced shooter/collector can probably give you better feedback and guidance on a Krag than a lot of 'Today's Gun Smiths'.

FWIW - A new Criterion Krag carbine barrel will cost around $200, plus installation & final chambering, front sight mounting, and it will have to have a finish applied.
(In the process, you will likely be turning a '$1,200 - plus' collectible carbine into a $600 'shooter').

IP Logged

Just_Joe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the reply.
I had a problem when shooting the riffle with key holing at 50 yards, plus there were feeding problems. Took it to a gunsmith and he told me I need a new barrel. He warned me about the dangers in value. I  know my grandfather bought it for 20 bucks in the late 60's. It was passed to Dad. Then passed to me right before I went into the military.

Currently it at the gun smith getting a spring replaced. So I can't post pics yet. The gun smith keep mentioning all the witness or proof marks on it. I don't know what that means. I will post pics soon as I get it back.

It has more sentimental value then monetary value to me.
I want to bring it back to life so Dad and I can go shooting again.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I'd also check the serial number. A badly worn but all original Krag carbine could have unsuspected value - in the 60s, nobody had published any research data. I would NOT replace the barrel without a good deal of further thought.

If the goal is just to "go shooting" as a family bonding experience - my suggestion would be to put the money that would have been spent on the Krag into another rifle of some sort which has no issues.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
'Just_Joe' - What ammunition were you using? I have never had bullets 'keyhole' in a .30-40 Krag.

I have had that happen in a Norwegian Krag, in 6.5X55mm, with a poor bore and much quicker rifling twist.

I concur with what Dick Hosmer suggested. It is pretty easy to find a very 'shootable' U.S. Krag rifle and not harm your heirloom. Cut down rifles sell for around $300-350 and full-length rifles can be found for $600-800, in good condition.

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Joe,

If you are interested in a good shooter instead of destroying the originality and value of this family heirloom, I have an 1898 carbine that I could give you a good deal on.  I know it is a good shooter, as I had gotten it sighted in for deer hunting this fall.

Best regards,
Tom

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
That begs the question, why not round up an original carbine barrel and screw it on? (They're out there if you search hard enough and are a bit lucky.) Who's to know at that point that it isn't the barrel that came on the gun, and it certainly would be "correct". The odds are pretty good that this barrel isn't the same one the gun wore when it left the Armory anyway.

IP Logged

Just_Joe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I thought about that. I am currently seeking a second opinion. I don't really understand how the value of it is assessed.

The serial number is 81472.

IP Logged

98src
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I checked the SRS records and there are no carbines in that serial number range. More than likely, you have a cut down rifle. Pictures would help a lot.

IP Logged

Just_Joe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Thank you for checking that for me. I can't post pictures until it comes back from the gun smith. I promise I will post some so

IP Logged

Just_Joe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Here are the pics I promised.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 6:55am
Print Post  
If it is a cut-down rifle, we'd need to see close-ups of the muzzle and front sight base attachment - also a good close-up of the face of the rear sight leaf, including the slide. The stock is unquestionably from a genuine carbine. but the receiver has been buffed and re-blued.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Before you give up on the bbl try some larger diameter lead bullets. I shot my PC Krag yesterday with 3 types of 170 gr bullets. .308 lead and jacketed and .310 gc cast. I got a 1 inch group with the .310s and 2 inch plus with the others.(40 yds off a bag). Play with your ammo some and see what your carbine will do. I would do that before I messed with it. Good luck.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
That's good advice.  Slug the bore and see what it sizes out to.  Many Krags have worn bores that do just fine with cast bullets sized .310 or larger (I shoot .311 out of my cutoff sporter). 

If you want an original to have that is relatively accurate, as others have stated - there are rifles are out there, and usually reasonably priced too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint