Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1898 Rear Sight Question (Read 1795 times)
BryanJ
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 Rear Sight Question
Mar 19th, 2016 at 12:45am
Print Post  
A couple of weeks ago I posted about my new Krag.  I have since purchased Joe Poyer's 2nd Edition and have a couple of questions.  On page 161, if I'm reading this correctly, the original 1898 rear sight had a base that was convex without range markings on the side of the base.  My base is just like the photo on page 161.  Is my sight an original 1898?  Second question, regarding top photo on page 78.  The original model 1898 Upper Band did not have the slot shown in Figure 2-55, neither does the band on my rifle.  Does my band appear original?  After going through Poyer's book, unless I'm missing something, I can't find any part on the rifle that seems to have been upgraded after original issue.  What am I missing?  Is this as originally issued?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Rear Sight Question
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 2:40am
Print Post  
'BryanJ' - Your front barrel band is the type that would have been on your model 1898 Krag, #188711, when it was first assembled (around March-April 1899).

IIRC - This type of band was usually replaced by the later 'split' band, when model 1896 and model 1898 Krags were refurbished or rebuilt at the Armory. It is unusual to see one on a model 1898 Krag, in my experience. (Interesting).

Your present rear-sight is the 'Dickson' model 1898 sight. It has the 1898 Base and Leaf. It has the correct 1898 'locking-knob' on the right side of the Slide. However, your sight's Slide appears to be a later 1902 Slide, because of the small hole in its left-side, for a spring-loaded pin.

(I am attaching a picture of the left-side of an 1898 Slide, which is plain and without the small hole and spring-loaded pin).

IMHO - It is likely your Krag had a model 1896 sight on it when first assembled.

The model 1898 sight had a very short period of service. Mallory, ("The Krag Rifle Story"), wrote of it being put on model 1898 Krags, manufactured between August, 1899 and March, 1900, when it was discontinued. Poyer assumes the Dickson sight was put on model 1898 rifles in the #217400 to #253000 range.

Suffice it to say, I do not know who put the 1898 sight on your Krag. I do not believe it to be a "Pure" example of the 1898 rear-sight because of its Slide.

Possibly a KCA member with a copy of Joe Farmer's publication can check his conclusions on the 1898 Sight.

IP Logged

BryanJ
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Rear Sight Question
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 3:16am
Print Post  
Butler.  Thanks for the info, I'd like to learn as much about these rifles as I can in the event I get bitten by the bug and "need" to find another one.  I'm stunned about the workmanship that went into these rifles.  I'm not sure why I waited so long to get one.  The photos I've taken of this rifle really don't do justice to the good shape it's in.  Anyway, if there's anything additional you or anyone else can share about this particular rifle, I'd appreciate it. 

I've got some really good trading material if anyone's got an extra carbine they really don't need.

Thanks again

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint