Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
My NRA? Krag carbine has ejector problems (Read 2987 times)
Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

My NRA? Krag carbine has ejector problems
Mar 21st, 2016 at 3:07am
Print Post  
I've been enjoying reloading .30-40 and shooting my new to me carbine for a few weeks now and believed that it had a bad ejector. No matter how fast you work the bolt the mty case seldom ejects and will fall back into the action. A few minutes ago I removed the sideplate and there's no protruding ejector pin. The pin is flush to the receiver. At first I thought that the pin had gotten broken but now I wonder if a previous owner had lost the correct pin and replaced it with a homemade pin. There is a lot of slop in the ejector which could be from a too small or a deformed, too soft pin which could affect how much 'kick' it would have. But how do I remove the short pin? Knock the hell out of the side plate side of the receiver with a rubber mallet or Dremel the side of the action around the pin to expose enough of it to pull it out? Drill it out? Anybody else run into this problem? I'm open to any ideas.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My NRA? Krag carbine has ejector problems
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 4:00am
Print Post  
'Baltimoreed' - Compared to many other rifle actions, the Krag ejector is pretty anemic. However, with brisk Bolt movement to the rear, it normally gets the job done.

It does sound like your 'ejector-pin' has been replaced. A loose and undersized pin would probably compromise ejector function. (I am attaching a photo of normal parts for your reference).

My suggestion is to lay the barreled/receiver, left-side down, on a table or bench, leaving the pin-hole overhanging the table edge. Lightly tap, repeatedly, on the ejector (body) in its recess, with a brass punch & plastic mallet. Check to see if the pin becomes partially exposed and can be gripped with needle-nose pliers.

If all else fails, I would attempt to 'center-punch' the tip of the pin and then drill a small shallow hole into the pin. I would then insert a drill shank into the hole and slightly 'lever' it to provide some friction and draw the pin out.

p.s. If you have a strong small magnet, use it to try and 'draw' the end of the pin out, while slowly wiggling the ejector side to side. (worth a try)!

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
After 30 whacks with a plastic mallet it moved enough for me to get it out. The pin is .095, the hole in the ejector is .099, the recvr hole is .0955. Guess I need some parts. Here's a pix of the ejector and pin. Thanks butlersrangers.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I don't know why the photo uploaded weird but l peened the ejector on the short end to make it taller by .010 and slightly bent the long end. I made a pin out of drill rod that is long enough to go into the hole in the sideplate. I also filed a recess in the pin so I can remove it when I get the real one. It's a few thousand small but it works. Now it throws the brass like it's supposed to.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
FWIW: I have a loose ejector & pin and took some measurements and photos. (A Sample of One - Your results may vary).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint