Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag Purchase (Read 2830 times)
Rick58
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Purchase
Mar 29th, 2016 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
I recently won a bid on an auction site that had several Krags, I got one that had the barrel cut to 22inches and the previous owner had the butt of the stock shortened. I paid for the online auction and went to give them my C&R, The woman informed me that this is a modern rifle and would have to go to an FFL Dealer, I told her the weapon was over `100 years old and she connected me with there FFL guy who told me because of the modifications to the weapon it was now considered modern just by having the barrel cut and the stock shortened. Has anyone else had this problem are they correct?? Please answer, Thank you
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2016 at 1:41am by Rick58 »  

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Purchase
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 2:19am
Print Post  
I thought I had scored on a Trapdoor Cadet.  I was told it had to go to an FFL because it was chambered for a commercially available cartridge.  The big dealers are into CYA, probably because they cannot afford any harassment by BATF.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 5:51am
Print Post  
reincarnated wrote on Mar 30th, 2016 at 2:19am:
I thought I had scored on a Trapdoor Cadet.  I was told it had to go to an FFL because it was chambered for a commercially available cartridge.  The big dealers are into CYA, probably because they cannot afford any harassment by BATF. 

So true. Last year I scored a very rare 1868 .50-70 from a big dealer in Maine. Had to jump through the whole BATF hoop, including "registration" here in the PRK, even though it pre-dates the cut-off by 30 years. If it had been a common gun, I'd have told them to perform an impossible anatomical act - but, upon arrival it sat in limbo for ten days while my plans of a major crime spree died on the vine. The reason given "They do such a large volume of Class III business that they are afraid of losing their license if they so much as fart off-key." Truly, the inmates are in charge.

IP Logged

Rick58
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the answers guy's I just couldn't understand why and I wasn't going to keep fighting the point, by the way it was out of Maine.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
The Trapdoor Cadet was also a purchase out of Maine.  Maybe we are all trying to buy from the same outfit.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Kittery Trading Post? Nice people, but STUBBORN!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Same place.  Kind of a place with dreams of becoming another LL Bean.  Lots of guns, but only a tiny part of the business.  They would sell you a 3-piece suit or a picnic table or a new outboard motor or an ice cream cone.  The Mrs could buy a table cloth & your daughter could buy a bathing suit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint