Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Krag Take down (really) (Read 6656 times)
Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Krag Take down (really)
Apr 5th, 2016 at 1:04am
Print Post  
So, here is a pretty amazing sporter job that I just picked up.
It was an 1896 rifle that someone put a lot of work into.  It is by no means a "bubba job".  It has four inter-changeable barrels; 30-40 Krag, 30-30, .410, and .22.

My Krag for any occasion.

Tom

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Take down (really)
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 6:17am
Print Post  
I am, of course, very interested in the details of the .22 barrel.  And do the .410s function through the magazine?  2 1/2" or 3"?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Amazing!  In addition to reincarnated's question...  are the rear sights similar on all barrels?  I assume the calibration would be different for each barrel because of the difference in the rounds.  Can we see some close ups of the barrel-to-receiver connection?

Sweet rifle!

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Beyond sweet! I would be very interested to see detailed pics of the takedown system.

Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
No, I do not want to see close ups, I may be tempted to start another project. No, do not post any close ups. Don't do it!

Whad am I saying, I do want to see the close ups! With CAD drawings!
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2016 at 2:27pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
LOL Fred

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 1:10am
Print Post  
I will get some more photos soon, when I have some good light.  So, stay tuned.

The rifle barrels all have buckhorn style rear sights with ramp elevators (I have to get a new elevator for the .22 barrel).  The .410 has no rear sight but a post on the front.

Unfortunately, the .410 rounds don't cycle in the action.  The .22 and .410 are both single-shot.  I have to get a few 30-30 rounds to try them.

The .22 barrel has an offset chamber so the regular firing pin strikes the rim.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
I think I have gotten over that little spell.

I have made up my mind no more years long projects. But I would like to see someone else copy your take down with 243/40, 30/40, 35/40, 22 mag, and maybe a 45 colt/410 barrel.
Now that would be the cat's meow.

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Here are a couple more photos.  The first one shows that front sights of all the barrels.  The bull barrel is the Krag one.  The second shows the rear of the barrels.  You can see the offset of the .22 barrel.  Also, shows the threaded ends of the barrels and the locking ring.

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
This one is a photo of the front of the action.  The barrel screws in here.  Actually the threads take each barrel slightly past dead upright for the sights.  So, as the barrel gets screwed almost as far as possible. you close the bolt so the extractor fits into the notch to hold it in place.  Then the locking ring (as shown in the preceding photos) is screwed as tight as possible by hand.  Then use the little tool and hammer to tighten the ring and lock the barrel in place.

The metal piece sticking out underneath is to attach the fore end.  The two little holes are for the matching dowels in the rear of the fore end to line it up and help hold it in place.

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Here are two views of the fore end.  The first shows the bottom with two brass cylinders set into it.  The rear one holds the screw that screws into the metal tab in the front of the receiver to attach the fore end.  The forward one has an adjusting screw that raises and lowers a small metal "yoke".  This yoke, as shown in the second picture, is used to provide the proper spacing and pressure for the fore end with each of the different barrels having different diameters.  I think this is a pretty smart idea myself!

Whoever did this work really thought it out and did very good work.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Simply amazing... and equally amazing is the workmanship!  How is the accuracy?  I assume that the 22 is no problem firing, but does the locking ring ever loosen from the vibrations of the recoil?  Also, how does the 410 shotgun barrel perform?

What a remarkable piece!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
That is an elegant solution to getting the head space to repeat. When you install the barrel it is touching the original internal shoulder to set the headspace. I would guess the end of the receiver was faced or ground square so the locking nuts have near 100% contact when tightened. The end of the receiver was not faced  square when made at SA.
I think the stiffness of the assembly will be greater with nut than the original system that only bears against the internal surface.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
I an, of course, consumed with curiosity about the .22 barrel.  Because it is bored off-center, I assume that the Krag extractor pulls out the case directly.  No auxiliary extractor as in the Gallery Practice Rifle. 

Seems to me the easiest source for an original barrel would be a Stevens-Pope.  They were bored off-center and used the regular Krag extractor.  Are there any markings on the .22 barrel?  Especially a number on the bottom, opposite the barrel sight?  If it is an S-P, the serious students of Stevens-Pope absolutely need to know about this one.

The other source of a ready bored off-center barrel would be a Gallery Practice Rifle.  But you would have to cut almost an inch off the breech to get rid of the auxiliary extractor and then fit the take down assembly.

Are the external dimensions of the .22 barrel (diameter, taper) close to an issue Krag barrel?  Both the S-P and the GPR barrels are very close to regular Krag dimensions.

Finally, Tom, please slug the barrel and tell us at least the groove diameter.  Bore diameter, also, if you can.  And lastly, please measure the twist.

Thanks, Richard

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Reincarnated, the .22 barrel is not a gallery practice barrel.  It is a Mossberg .22 barrel.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint