Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Stranger in the Mess (Read 8360 times)
1stazmilitia
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Stranger in the Mess
Apr 6th, 2016 at 10:54pm
Print Post  

Gentleman,
As a long time collector, and shooter of US military firearms I must confess to you to ignoring the venerable Krag.  That is until April Fools Day, when I walked into a small gun shop here in the central highlands of Arizona.  I could not believe my eyes.  There on the wall were two(2) lovely Krags.  One rifle M'98, and one M'98 carbine.  Both are NRA very good to fine.  I am sorry but at this time I am unable to post photos as my stock took a vote, and decided that they would prefer a new stock tank to getting their pictures took.
Now the carbine.  Stock is indeed a carbine stock with the '99 upper hand guard.  The wood is absolutely beautiful with a deep 1901 date stamp.  All metal in 90%.  Bore is in great condition.  The serial number is as follows:149873.  I really suspect that this is actually a cut down rifle.  However, I did mic the muzzle,and using my copy of Pitmans Notes the muzzle diameter is correct for a carbine. If the barrel had been cut down wouldn't the diameter of the muzzle be larger? Now for the down side.  The '96 rear sight is a rifle pattern, and the front sight looks to be correct, but it does look to have been buggered with.
Any information on the arm would be greatly appreciated.  I will post the information on the M'98 rifle later. Thanks.

1stAzMilitia

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Stranger in the Mess
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 12:21am
Print Post  
'1stazmilitia' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Krag Carbine and Rifle barrels have the same taper and measure the same diameter, 22 inches from the breech end.

Only about 5,000 model 1898 carbines were made at Springfield. Krag #147893 is not in the serial number range for 1898 Krag carbines.

As you are suspecting, it sounds likely that you have a cut-down '98 rifle (made around November, 1898), that someone put in a model 1899 carbine stock (given the 1901 cartouche).

A Krag front-sight base, carbine and rifle, should be very cleanly mounted with an almost invisible dove-tail and brazing.
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2016 at 1:17pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

1stazmilitia
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Hello Butlersrangers,
Thank you for your comments on my newly acquired Krag carbine/rifle.  I was fairly sure from the git go that it was a cut down rifle, but the condition was just to nice to pass up, and at the price I could not pass on it.  Besides I actually only wanted the M'98 rifle.  I forgot to mention that along with both guns I got 800 rnds. of new WW 220 grain round nose bullets in two custom made Krag ammo boxes! 
I will be posting photos of everything later today.
Thanks again for your help. 

-1stazmilitia

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!  You'll find that they are the smoothest operating firearms ever created, and shooting them is pure joy!  Can't wait to see the pictures...

But... be forewarned - Krags have a nasty habit of multiplying when you're not looking.

Paul

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
'Shortened' Krag rifles are fun to shoot. You may find that your 'faux carbine' is your favorite Krag at the Range!

IP Logged

S.B.
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum.
Steve

The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
800 rounds of Krag ammo in the deal is very good as both Winchester and Remington have said they're no longer going to make it!  Wanna sell some brass?  Guys are paying around a buck a piece for range brass, not knowing how many times it's been fired and reloaded.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2016 at 3:59am
Print Post  
'1stazmilitia' requested help in posting pictures of his two model 1898 Krags and invites observations and comment.

First, pictures of a very nice appearing 1898 rifle from 1900:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2016 at 4:46am
Print Post  
More pictures of '1stazmilitia's rifle:

(I'm not seeing anything wrong with this beauty, except maybe a "c" marking, on the right side of the front sight blade).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2016 at 11:36am
Print Post  
MAN...  She's a beauty!!!  Has she been taken out and permitted to sing yet?  This one should make an appearance at Perry in the Roosevelt Match!

IP Logged

1stazmilitia
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,
I must apologize for my delay in responding.  Been quite busy starting up our 1st Ariz. Inf'y living history unit.
Now, you comments are much appreciated.  My new M1898 rifle will again see active service, especially with 800 rnds.of .30 US that came with the rifle.
I do have one question that has been bothering me.  Why the retrograde to a M1896 rear sight?
I would love to come east to compete at Camp Perry, but unfortunately that is not possible.  I do however compete at the CMP games down in Phoenix.  Normally I shoot my RIA, '03, but  this fall I will be carrying my M1898, and be in the field uniform of the 1st Ariz. Inf'y ca. 1905.
Again, thanks for you help.

1st Ariz. Inf'y

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
'1stazmilitia' - (quick explanation):

Your model 1898 Krag rifle, #270971, was probably built around June/July, 1900.

In March, 1900, U.S. Ordnance discontinued a 'hotter', 2,200 fps, version of the .30-40 round, due to a 'cracked locking lug problem' in rifles. There was a return to the 2,000 fps version of the .30-40 round.

The model 1898, (three "v" notch), "Dickson Sight" was calibrated for the higher velocity ammo. This sight was abandoned and there was a return to the model 1896 sight.

Your rifle seems to fall in this 'window'. (The return to the model 1896 sight).

Eventually, the model 1901 and model 1902 sights were introduced, but, your rifle appears to have escaped these updates.

(p.s. Is there a small 'c' on the right-side of your front sight blade or is that just dust and grease)?

IP Logged

1stazmilitia
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
-Hello butlersrangers,
Dust you say? grease???  Nary a spot could I find, or even a 'c'.  I believe that what you are seeing is possibly wear from the bayonet  That's interesting about the ammo.  The ole girl is now sporting a Turners Sling, M1877.  she's full dress now.  Well almost, still looking for that elusive brass muzzle cover.

-1stazmilitia

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
My discriminating eye sees some residue deposit where the front blade enters the slotted base.

There also appears to be something on the right side of that blade.

Clean that rifle soldier! ... or face hours of 'pack drill'.

IP Logged

1stazmilitia
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
-butlersrangers,
Yes sir!  I can now see the crud now.  I only have my personal tooth brush to clean the front sight, but it will be done sir.  BTW, you have a striking resemblance to a certain 3rd class BM who yelled obsenaties at me for twelve weeks of boot camp. Undecided
Do you have any ideas where one might dig up one of the brass sight covers-------- reasonably ?

-1st azmilitia

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint