Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 1895/96 Magazine Carbine? (Read 16371 times)
pappypete@aol.com
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1895/96 Magazine Carbine?
Jun 1st, 2016 at 4:20am
Print Post  
I have a 1895 dated receiver serial # 24423. It is a carbine with a 22 inch barrel. It has an unaltered M1892 style receiver with an original unaltered 92 bolt, safety, cutoff and so on. The stock is an early type with a thin wrist and a sharp 1895 JSA cartouche. The carbine is in very good condition with considerable finish remaining. Just want to know if this gun is for real or a nice recreation. 

AIM  
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1895/96 Magazine Carbine?
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 4:53am
Print Post  
'pappypete' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your 1895 dated carbine certainly appears to have a model 1892 bolt.

However, is it possible that the right top of your receiver is 'notched', as in the attached photo, (for an extractor 'hold open pin')?

The early model 1896 carbines utilized 1895 dated receivers.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 5:02am
Print Post  
BTW - Krag #24423, is listed in Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd. edition, as a model 1896 Rifle, issued in 1898, to Co. 'C', 4th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

It would be interesting to see more photos of this 'carbine'. Especially, the front-sight & muzzle crown, rear-sight, and stock.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 11:03am
Print Post  
More pictures please.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
That would be a VERY low number for an original carbine.

How many cleaning rod holes in the butt trap - 2 or 3?

IP Logged

pappypete@aol.com
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Sorry sent post before I was ready. Computer did it. I think I have figured out how to lower picture resolution so I can send photos. Serial # is 24432 don't think it is listed. There is no notch. Looks like an unaltered M1892 receiver I have two 92 rifles which are just about the same. Rounded muzzle and the stock is modified for oiler. Front sight does look right to me but I do not have another carbine to compare. I put a 96 carbine sight on the gun it had a 92 sight which I showed on one of the pics.

AIM  
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 3:30am
Print Post  
'pappypete' :

In your first post, you incorrectly reported your Krag's serial number, as #24423. That number was documented by Franklin Mallory, as a model 1896 rifle.

Your actual number, #24432, is not in the appendix tables in "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd., edition.

Your Krag 'carbine' is beyond my area of experience and study. However, I am skeptical of a model 1896 carbine with a 'model 1892 action'.

To my eye, your photo seems to show a shiny spot on the right top of the receiver, where the 'hold-open notch' would be on a model 1896 carbine. (This could be reflection and illusion or a skillfully filled notch). Maybe it is a rub mark from a different bolt that had  a 'hold-open pin'.

Definitely, your Krag is one that has to be viewed directly by a collector knowledgeable with model 1892 and model 1896 Krags. It 'breaks a few rules'.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2016 at 5:04pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 3:54am
Print Post  
From my understanding the earliest authentic Krag carbine serial number was 24709 or 24708 somewhere in that area if my memory serves. I also recall the early Carbines were known as prototype 1892 carbines and I always assumed they would have been done on 92' actions. How much does the gun weigh? I think there was close to a 1lb difference in weight between the early prototype and type 1 carbine vs the later type 2. Though I also remember something about a few of the really early carbines had full length stocks?? Just a long shot here but could this be an early 1892 Krag Carbine prototype or early type 1? I concede it is beyond my expertise just like butlersranger but I thought I would chime in and get educated as well Smiley

YouTube  
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 4:11am
Print Post  
'pappypete' - There is a deep scratch or 'seam' on the left receiver wall just behind the serial number. Can you comment on this?

(I hope someone didn't join two receiver sections together).

IP Logged

pappypete@aol.com
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 4:24am
Print Post  
Your skepticism is well founded. I noticed a scratch on another photo which I have since deleted. I am almost positive it is only a small scratch but unfortunately I am not home so I can not look at it until next week. I have looked at it many, many times and never noticed anything unusual. I bought this carbine over 20 years ago from an nice old gentleman who said he had been collecting krags for over 40 years. I had no clue it  was unusual I just wanted a nice carbine. He sent me a nice letter after I bought it detailing the unusual features.

AIM  
IP Logged

pappypete@aol.com
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 4:42am
Print Post  
In reply to Jeremy the lowest observed number by Dick Hosmer is 24685 and I think they just found one with a slightly lower number. Mallory's book reports a 96C with a serial number of 21451 used in sight calibration. Do not no anything about the weight.

AIM  
IP Logged

pappypete@aol.com
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 4:49am
Print Post  
In reply to butlersrangers the scratches are only scratches I am afraid. Sorry you noticed because it makes me mad every time I look at them. Sorry to say they happened some time on my watch.

AIM  
IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 4:57am
Print Post  
Thank you for telling us that the stock was modified for the oiler. That is odd, because one would think that the thin wrist stocks - which were failing in service - would have been replaced, not modified (upgraded) for continued use.

But, once again, how many rod holes?

To another set of comments - there were exactly two M1892 Carbines. They had 4-digit numbers and were full-stocked. Both are accounted for. A few "sight test guns" occur in the 10K-20K range, but their characteristics are not known.

At one time, 24685, which I once owned, was recognized as the earliest production carbine known. That has subsequently been 'beaten' by about 200 numbers, IIRC.

The presence of an M1892R sight on the piece not a good omen, but certainly a puzzle.

IP Logged

pappypete@aol.com
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 5:28am
Print Post  
Dick, agree with all you have said. I am afraid I do not know how many holes and will have to get back to you next week  when I return home. The sight and oiler hole have always bothered me. Old gun sometimes never seem to be straight forward. The carbine is in very nice shape and was not used much. Sort of doubt it was reworked by Springfield or it would have been in a much different configuration.

AIM  
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
'pappypete' - You have given us all 'a puzzle to ponder'.

My theory is:

In 1895 a distracted Springfield Armory workman failed to machine the newly introduced 'notch' on receiver #24432 and it went on to be heat treated.

It was assembled into an otherwise respectable early model 1896 carbine with a model 1896 bolt and rear sight. The pin on the 1896 extractor caused a bit of wear and brightening where it rubbed on the top of the 'un-notched' receiver.

In a later era, a 'collector' or Dealer, (noticing the carbine's receiver lacked the hold-open notch), attempted to make it "more Arsenal Correct". He put the 1892 bolt and rear-sight on the carbine, thinking these parts went with an un-notched receiver. He 'created a carbine that never was' - IMHO.

(This is much like some Present Day M1 carbine collectors do in rearranging parts to make 'correct guns').

Today, we ponder, scratch our heads, and wonder?????
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2016 at 5:01pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint