Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Remington Rolling Block No.5 7mm Mauser (Read 8140 times)
Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Remington Rolling Block No.5 7mm Mauser
Jun 15th, 2016 at 2:41am
Print Post  
I've always wanted A Rolling Block and couldn't pass up the opportunity on this one. From my understanding and research this is a 1902 variant. It shares the same sight as the 1897 variant but has the rotary extractor like the 1910 variation. Now all I need to do is find a bayonet. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2016 at 6:14am by Jeremy T Garner »  
YouTube  
IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: Remington Rolling Block No.5 7mm Mauser
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Is this one?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on Jun 15th, 2016 at 3:34am:
Is this one?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

It definitely is a rolling block bayonet but that is a socket bayonet for the 1871 Remington Rolling Block in 50/70. I believe this variation of Rolling Block shares the same style bayonet as the 1899 Remington Lee rifle. I could be wrong and someone please correct me if I am.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2016 at 6:14am by Jeremy T Garner »  
YouTube  
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Your #5 Remington Rolling-Block and the Model 1899 Remington-Lee use the same short knife-bayonet.

Most of these style bayonets probably went to South-American countries and Mexico. The State of Michigan used them on the Remington-Lee. (The 1914 French Rolling-blocks used a long saber-version).

IIRC - Some use a leather frog or hanger. Others have a 'krag-like' metal hanger.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 10:47am
Print Post  
That's a pretty sweet looking rifle there Jeremy!

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
And one of the better loads.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
The Remington R-B is one of my favorite single-shot actions. I regret not more vigorously collecting them when they were plentiful and more affordable.

I regret selling off several that I once owned: 1914 model in 8mm Lebel with bayonet, model 1867 U.S.N. carbine in .50 Carbine, and Springfield made model 1871 in .50-70.

I hesitated on some specimens I should have bought!

IMHO - Rolling-Blocks were a 'Sleeper' in the collecting field for a long time. They were plentiful, undervalued, and under researched.

Too late smart! - I never heeded my own advice "to collect them".

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
I do enjoy shooting my 7mm #5 Rolling-Block. It was made around 1908-1910 and has a simpler rear-sight, than Jeremy's.

I use 'starting' loads with 139 grain projectiles to get the cartridge cases nicely formed to my rifle's chamber. Thereafter, I neck-size only.

The early Mauser and Remington R-B rifles in 7X57mm have different chamber dimensions than what was later utilized by U.S. manufacturers.

I keep meaning to buy and install a lighter trigger-return spring. My trigger-pull is quite heavy, but, the lighter reproduction spring should be an easy 'fix'.

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Jun 15th, 2016 at 10:47am:
That's a pretty sweet looking rifle there Jeremy!

Thanks Paul!! I've had my eye on it for awhile now and for $450 I couldn't complain too much based on the condition its in. Only down side is somewhere along its travels someone removed and filled the rear sling swivel. Bore is surprisingly good though.

I hear ya Butlers I always liked them but never really sought them out until recently. I would love to have an 1871 in 50/70 and a 1914 in 8mm Lebel. I have a line on some vintage Remington ammo for the rolling block in 7mm and I may purchase that to inspect next to my modern commercial PPU and S&B that I use for my Venezuelan contract FN49. My understanding was that the older cartridge was slightly longer than modern SAAMI spec 7mm Mauser?

YouTube  
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Jeremy: I believe you are basically correct.

IIRC - the SAAMI dimensions moved the 7X57mm case shoulder back slightly, which created a potential excessive head-space situation in Mausers and Rolling-Blocks with the original dimensioned chambers.

If new Brass is fitted to the early chamber, by 'Fire-Forming' or using lower pressure 'starting' loads, and the cases are neck-sized only, when reloading, Life should be Good!

(p.s. Try chambering cartridge cases fired in your FN-49 to see if they will fit in your R-B chamber. If they do, it is worth neck-sizing them for use in your Remington R-B. Just back off your F.L. Resizing Die a turn. Chances are, the case shoulder moved forward a bit when fired in the FN-49).

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2016 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Stay far away from Chilean military ammo dated from the 1970s.  The powder has started to decompose.  Cases look shiny & all to external spec, but I had a case head separation in my 1895 Chilean.  Gas & brass in my cheeks.

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2016 at 4:32am
Print Post  
reincarnated wrote on Jun 16th, 2016 at 1:10am:
Stay far away from Chilean military ammo dated from the 1970s.  The powder has started to decompose.  Cases look shiny & all to external spec, but I had a case head separation in my 1895 Chilean.  Gas & brass in my cheeks.

Thank you so much for the heads up on that! I feel a lot better about passing on a lot of that exact stuff about a year ago. A friend of mine owns a pawn/antique shop and he had offered it to me when I bought two sealed cases of some M72 match ammo from him.

Im glad you're ok after your Chilean experience! Those are never fun! I had a case separate on me in a Noreen BN36 in 30-06 that blew a huge chunk of the bolt off and completely obliterated the magazine. It happened on my birthday after owning the rifle for less than 24 hours! This rifle platform had issues early on in the run and I was assured by their company this was outside of the recall serial number range before I purchased it. They were wrong lol. Thank god there was one round left in the magazine otherwise I probably would have had that section of bolt in my hand or forearm. Though they were great about the whole thing and made it right by me.

YouTube  
IP Logged

portugeejn
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Jeremy, FWIW I had one of those once with some "generous" headspace and formed my brass to fit the chamber using 30-06 brass, trimming then annealing the necks.  Kind of an interesting fun project if you enjoy that kind of thing.   Nice rifle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint