Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
ammo/chamber/bolt/rifle question (Read 2711 times)
Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

ammo/chamber/bolt/rifle question
Jun 22nd, 2016 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I have 2 Krags, a NRA? carbine and a PC and only about 130 rds of used brass. To keep from overworking my brass I have split the brass between them and after an initial fl sizing am necksizing with a.308 sizer die. I have found that my PC loads will not chamber  in the nra but the nra ammo will go into the PC? However, if I swap out the bolts I can swap out the ammo. What's going on here? I want to pick up a box of new ammo to fire a few rds in each gun and then could measure the difference.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Re: ammo/chamber/bolt/rifle question
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
The simple answer is that one bolt/receiver/chamber is longer/shorter than the other. This is due to normal manufacturing tolerances. As long as you segregate cases, neck size, and stop swapping parts, the minor difference should be inconsequential.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Parashooter's advise is on target.  I have segregated ammo for my 3140 and some for a second rifle I am bringing on line.  I don't want to prematurely wear out the brass.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 10:49am
Print Post  
I agree also.  I have brass (around 150) that I only use with my sporter and cast loads.  All of my remaining brass is neck size only and used exclusively in my match 1898 (i.e. the rifle I use for all of my vintage matches).

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if I had a problem with one or both of my Krags or my reloading technique. I didn't even think about the normal discrepancies in manufacturing 100 years ago. The first time that I have owned 2 centerfire bottleneck cartridge rifles in the same rifle caliber at the same time. You don't have this problem with .45-70s or .45 lc.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
'Baltimoreed':

You can easily have different rifles in .45-70 and different revolvers in .45 Colt that will not allow fired cartridge cases to interchange without reforming the brass. Chambers for straight-walled are subject to manufacturing tolerances, also.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint