Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 M1895 Winchester Musket (Read 14401 times)
Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

M1895 Winchester Musket
Jul 2nd, 2016 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
The good news is the rifle is ready for pick up at Turnbull Mfg.  They had asked me if I wanted the new barrel aged some to match the receiver and I replied no.  I want the next owner to know that it is a rebarreled rifle.  It might look not pretty but it will be a shooter.

Monsieur Steinmayer, Camp Perry may be a go this year though that is still up in the air.

Picture to follow next week.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2016 at 3:34am by Culpeper »  

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: M1895 Winchester Musket
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 12:46am
Print Post  
That is excellent news Mr. Pepper-de Cul!  I sure do hope you can swing it...  just keep me posted and I'll keep a seat warm for you at dinner... and a space next to us in squadding!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I was loading up my krag ammo (220gr sierra, 40 grain 4350, WLR) and also rebuilt my dummy rounds with 45 grains so the bullets would not telescope on me.  I discovered this when I load them in to the 1895.  The problem I found in all of this is when I was cycling the dummy round through the 95.  Three dummies in the rifle and they point to the chamber and feed well.  Number four and number five the points are not lifted high enough to correctly chamber.

Just another bump in the road to Perry. Tongue

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2016 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Well it looks like the M1895 is a no-go for Camp Perry this year.  The wholsome and pure rifle I thought I owned turns out to be monster of the good Dr. Frankinstein.

I used the pea sized marbles I call my brains and figured out the best educated guess to the problem.

The issue as stated before is the fourth and fifth rounds are not being lifted high enough to enter the chamber while the first to the third are in perfect alignment. 

Loading a round into the magazine pushes the carrier cradle down onto the carrier cam lever and the carrier.  The carrier cam lever is what holds the cradle in the upward position.  The other end of the cam lever bears against the carrier stop pin.  Here be demons. 

I discovered I could take a thin punch and push down on the end of the cam lever and raise the cradle when the magazine is empty.  According to a patent drawing and not a little bit of logic I should not be able to do this since it should already be at its greatest extention.

Well the rest of the story is I removed the magazine from the rifle and got to the carrier.  The first thing I noticed is the carrier has a "B" stamped on it.  Then I went to Numrich to see if they had replacement parts.  Yep.  Carrier with a B equals .30-06.  Carrier with "A" = .30-40.  Cam lever and cradle need to be A also.  And they do not have any carriers.  grrrrrrrr  So that IS the problem!

So I will have to add material to the lever at the point where it touches the stop pin.  It should get me to the point I need for the fourth and fifth round and can be reversable.

Aside from that put 26 rounds through it three at a time at fifty yards today.  I will need to get a two hundred range to really get a feel of where it is shooting.

Until the next report.  See ya'

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2016 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Numrich is NOT the only game in town, and, .30-40 was one of the most popular chanberings so the "A" parts should be available somehow, whereas your "B" parts might even have some premium value.

S&S? Winchester Collectors Association, etc.

Apparently Bubba installed your "B"s? It sure did not come from Winchester that way.

Or, maybe your rifle was rebarreled?  Might want to check the records at Cody? Since the '06 is known to have given some trouble (not all justified, of course) such a rebarreling could have made great sense to a former owner.

Hang in there!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2016 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
The rifle was rebarreled by me.  The original barrel has the KSM inspector initials on it which is congruent with rest of the major parts.

WCA?  Hmmmm.  I did not think of them.  Thank you for the tip.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 6:42am
Print Post  
I was under the impression that this was a Turnbull restoration.  If so, I think you need to call Turnbull.  Also, dummy cartridges made in the days of the Krag had a wooden dowel spacer jammed between the inside of the case head and the base of the bullet.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 10:27am
Print Post  
It was always a barrel replacement job.  I presumed that everything else was correct and the main problem was a ringed chamber.

Wooden plug huh?  Dang.  Now you tell me.  Well that small amount of powder will not be missed

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
The Brits used coal dust to fill their dummy cases.  Crushed charcoal would probably work, but the wood dowel seems the ultimate in practicality.  I have here in my desk a 6 mm Lee Navy armorer's dummy, by WRACo.  I can see the dowel through the holes drilled in the case.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
TA DA!  Yeah I know.  You can't see the new barrel because the stock is in the way.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
I will be very interested to learn how accurate the 95 is, off the sandbags at 100 or 200 yards.  How will it compare with an ordinary Krag?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
I'm looking forward to seeing how it does in the winds of Perry on the firing line!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Your curiousity and mine.  I went to the National Target Company and picked up a bundle of SR targets the other day so I could shoot to two hundred yards and have the proper target.

Turnbull will be returning my original front sight and an extra one that was made but was too short. So between the three of them I had a sight I can use.  I had to aim about four inches above the 12 for the rifle to shooting near the one inch black dot at fifty yards last Saturday.  So the next time out is will have to be at a hundred.  Maybe I can convince Annapolis to shoot it.  Also I was shooting to the right by an inch or so.   Lucky me I found out afterward there is windage adjustment in the rear sight.  It is friction held and is tight and stiff enough to hold its position.

So the problems as it stands is the carrier cam lever is not lifting the carrier cradle high enough for round four and five, the front sight height and a hundred pound trigger pull.  Yikes!

Stay tuned here from further developments

Camp Perry 2017 or bust.

Speaking of Camp Perry.  Can one shoot two rifles in the vintage match?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Nope... unlike local matches, you can only shoot one rifle per category.  Just shoot your Krag this year and shoot the Winchester next year!  I've seen one of your Krags, and it's a beaut!

By the way... did you happen to get the correct carrier cam lever on the way?

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I think I did.  Numrich says it is stamped with an A but the crap shoot is did Winchester make minute tweaks over the span of production?  Should be here next week.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint