Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hello and what do I have (Read 4195 times)
wvhunter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Hello and what do I have
Jul 9th, 2016 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
In my father in laws basement I came across what I think is a Danish Krag.  I realize it may have been "sporterized" over the years making it worthless to collectors but would still like to find out some history of this old piece.  Any help would be appreciated.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may have in identifying this piece.  We aren't sure how he came to have this piece as he served in the Pacific theater just after WW2 and at least one of his brothers served in Europe during WW2.

IP Logged

wvhunter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Hello and what do I have
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2016 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Mostly I'm curious to the markings on the receiver it has a stylized B followed by a very block looking C then a crown over 30 and then a small crown.

But any and all info or where to look is appreciated.

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Hello from the Town Of New Denmark in Wisconsin.Thank you for posting the pictures. Yes it is a Danish Krag. The cartridge is a rimmed 8MM Danish design. There were several models of the Danish Krags.

There is not a great volume of information about these. From my reference library sources, I can tell a couple things.

The receiver indicates it was built at the Copenhagen Arms Manufactury. There were two other arsenal manufacturers in later years.

I don't think this is a modified rifle. Several things tell us that it is (or was) a model 1889 Artillery Carbine. Your rifle looks like it retains the original carbine length sheet steel barrel cover or sleeve and front sight. There was no wood hand guard on this model.Too short to be a rifle I think. Need a better close up of the front sight and a measurement of the barrel length.

The bolt handle is turned down, a distinct feature of the Artillery Carbine. Other bolt models are horizontal. Some sources indicate an "A" prefix on the serial number is the code for Artillery Carbine.

The crown stamp is the proof firing stamp. The square bracket or inverted "U' is actually the type of rifling mark for "Sharp Edges and Grooves". This is the early style. There is a different mark for later type rifling.

A couple of questions. Is the upper sling swivel a triangular shape? It should be. What does the left side of the stock look like? There should be a small stud protruding out and a sling swivel on that side. The stud hooks to a leather guard on the gunners back when the Carbine is slung. BTW, Artillery Carbine in Danish is Artillerikarabin hense the "A" on the barrel serial number.

Cat Man

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 3:05am
Print Post  
A couple more thoughts on your Danish Krag.

It looks like the stock has defiantly been sporterized, but I think the metal components are likely unmodified originals. It still could turn out to be a cut down rifle. Need more information and pictures of the muzzle end.

They are an interesting rifle.

The ammunition is made of "unobtanium", so I have never shot mine. Reloading dies may be available to reform the cartridge cases from other rimmed cases. You may want to look around the basement and see if there is any ammo or parts in a drawer somewhere.

Post up a few more pictures and some measurements.

Look forward to learning more.

Cat Man

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
The rear sight is also not a standard rifle sight but one found on a carbine. Reloading dies are available and brass can be formed from 45/70 if you can't find the real thing.

IP Logged

wvhunter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2016 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Here are a couple more pictures.

Front sling

Rear

When measuring from the receiver the barrel measures 23 inches

Am I correct in assuming that the 1900 indicates a manufacture year?  Also what would the stylized B on the receiver mean.

There is no stud on either side of the stock.

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Thanks for the information. The rifle barrel is 32 inches. Your Krag at 23 inches would be a carbine. The front sight sleeve mounting looks original except there would have been a rail on the underside to attach the bayonet. It was probably ground off when the piece was sporterized.

The A in the bbl serial number not withstanding, the piece could likely have been the standard infantry carbine model and not the Artillery model.

The "B" stamp is the inspector at final manufacture. The 1900 date would be year of manufacture.

Hope that explains what you wanted to know.

Cat Man

IP Logged

wvhunter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2016 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the info.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint