Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hatcher on the Krag (Read 2398 times)
mr.tickle
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Hatcher on the Krag
Jul 16th, 2016 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
I am currently reading "Hatcher's Notebook", since it is too hot and humid to be outside. It is definitely a must read.

I am only a third of the way through (it is a pretty thick book) but he has mentioned the Krag a few times. In chapter 8 he briefly mentions the strength of the action.

He mentioned that at one point a magazine article once claimed the Krag was stronger than the '03! He quickly proves it as hogwash. He does state the Krag action is perfectly strong enough for the pressures/loadings it was designed (around 40,000lbs max). He says the Ordnance Department found that the absolute limit is 42,000lbs.

He also discusses that while Krags had cracked lugs or split in two from hot loads he never saw one where the bolt flew out the back end of the gun. The rib on the bolt body serves as a safety lug as does the bolt handle.

I'll put in my disclaimer: just because Hatcher makes these statements doesn't mean you should test them!

I'm just here for the food...

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Hatcher on the Krag
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Hatcher's Notebook sits on the table next to my thrown! Many times have I gone in only to lose track of time and my wife angrily confronts me wanting to know why I was in the bathroom for 45 minutes. Smiley Its a splendid read especially for those who enjoy collecting military arms.

YouTube  
IP Logged

kragluver
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 4:17am
Print Post  
The Krag has three lugs - one obvious lug at the front of the bolt, the bolt guide rib and the bolt handle seat in the receiver mortise. Keep in mind the Krag was made with the exact same steel alloy as the low numbered '03s and utilized identical steel processing. It handles gas release into the receiver much better than a Mauser based design however.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
This subject comes up from time to time.  There was a test performed by Michael Petrov where he destroyed a Krag in the interest of testing it's strength.  The results were startling!  The report can be ready here:  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

mr.tickle
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Jul 17th, 2016 at 12:07pm:
This subject comes up from time to time.  There was a test performed by Michael Petrov where he destroyed a Krag in the interest of testing it's strength.  The results were startling!  The report can be ready here:  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

WOW!  Thats impressive! Quite a read! Guess I can breathe easy when shooting the Krag.

I'm just here for the food...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint