Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 KRAG Sling (Repro) - pics added (Read 6887 times)
AzMedic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

KRAG Sling (Repro) - pics added
Sep 19th, 2016 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Good Morning All-

I have Krag rifle with an original sling that the experienced 1 pull-thru (break) of one of the holes that the hooks go thru - it is an original sling and I do not want to risk any more damage to it so it has been safely removed from the rifle.  With that said, who makes an honest reputable copy of the 1887 trapodoor/Krag double hook (single brass piece with dbl hook) that would be appropriate for this rifle.  I was thinking of Turner's but they have a very long wait due to the sling length and getting a piece of hide good enough to use.

thank you!
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2016 at 8:37pm by AzMedic »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: KRAG Sling (Repro)
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2016 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
'AzMedic': It would be interesting to know the length of your original sling. Also, your intended use for a reproduction sling: (Display, Shooting, Reenacting)?

(FWIW - I do not to leave slings on my rifles. In time, it is not good for the sling or the rifle. The leather seems to breakdown where it is 'folded' and metal can react to tanning chemicals).

Some original and reproduction model 1887 Slings are spliced (an original practice due to recycling CW slings). Some of these slings run as long as 72", which works on a Trapdoor Springfield, but, it is too long on a Krag and can not be made taught.

The model 1887 Slings, intended for the Krag, were around 66 1/2 inches long.

Mallory also describes a model 1903 Sling, made for the Krag, that was less bulky and approximately 48 inches long.

Krag slings were intended mainly as 'carry straps'. There was some improvisation done, around 1903, to use them as a shooting aid. The 1903-Springfield's model 1907 Sling was made to assist Position Shooting. It works well on a Krag.

I have picked up several reproduction Slings on ebay that were inexpensive. I do not know who or where they were made. They are decent and serve my purposes. In time, they will look authentic. S&S Firearms may be a good source for a repro. Be aware of the actual total length.

Two photos showing reproductions, makers unknown:
1. A (72 inch) model 1887 sling on a Krag. It is put on properly, but, even at its shortest adjustment, it is too long for the Krag. 
2. A (66 inch) model 1887 sling. It is shown unconventionally, but, as utilized by the 1903 Army Team at the National Matches for Target Shooting.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2016 at 1:21pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

AzMedic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: KRAG Sling (Repro) - [Pics added]
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2016 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the reply... 52" overall length. [pics added]

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: KRAG Sling (Repro) - pics added
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 4:11am
Print Post  
'AzMedic': It appears your original sling was shortened and the 'brass button' was repositioned. The button belongs at the end of the sling that attaches to the butt-swivel. There should be a lot more adjustment holes on your sling for the double-hook attachment.

Photo of an original 66 inch Krag sling, (note splice which is a correct and common feature on these slings).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 11:32am
Print Post  
For what it's worth... Turner's is really the best bet if you can wait.  Their slings are made to exact standards to replicate the original design (other manufacturers make repro slings, but do not conform to the exact design).  If you're talking about using it for shooting, then the 1907 NM sling from Turner's is the way to go and will serve you well.  As Butlersrangers stated, you really don't want to use the 1887 sling for anything more than carry.  If you're only using it for display, then what's the harm in waiting?

IP Logged

AzMedic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: KRAG Sling - pics added
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Thank you both for the replies....the original style sling will stay off the rifle unless used for display and I'll get on the waiting list for Turner's to get a good reliable new sling made.
  When I bought the rifle the sling was attached at the butt swivel via the brass buttoned loop and the hook end looped thru the 2nd swivel and hooked thru the adjustment holes that are on the sling near the button.
I cannot find any maker's marks on the sling (leather is still soft and pliable)

thank you all!!!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
I think part of your sling is missing.

IP Logged

1stazmilitia
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
AzMedic,
I received my P1887 rifle sling from Turner & Co. this past May.  It is well worth waiting for, and the price was $99.25  including shipping.  I have three(3) of there slings, and they are holding up very well.
Now rigging this pattern of sling is a real PAIN!  Fortunately there is a instructional You tube video that will walk you through it.
Are you planning to attend the CMP matches at Ben Avery this coming October? I am entered in the Vintage Rifle matches with my M1898 rifle, and my SMLE No.1.

Irish Mck
1st Arizmilitia

IP Logged

AzMedic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks Irish Mck,

Yes, I plan on attending the CMP games here in Oct.  What day are you planning on shooting?  Probably going to be a looky-loo for the days - Haven't had (made) the time to go out for a bit of practice with anything...

IP Logged

JimW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
1stazmilitia wrote on Sep 20th, 2016 at 8:59pm:
AzMedic,
I received my P1887 rifle sling from Turner & Co. this past May. 

Irish Mck
1st Arizmilitia

I am on the waiting list for 2; any chance you could post some photos?

IP Logged

AzMedic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Thank You all for the advice and guidance - stumbled across a Turner 1887 sling on Ebay the other day...  Here's the pics - Can a forum member confirm if I have it 'slung' correctly?

THANK YOU!!!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
It is slung correctly (as shown in Mallory's - "The Krag Rifle Story").

The attached photo, of an overly long reproduction Sling, may make it easier to see how the Sling is 'threaded'.

IP Logged

AzMedic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Thank you Sir for the confirmation! Appreciate the guidance on learning about the Krag rifle & Carbines...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint