Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 30-40 Brass Requests (Read 12625 times)
drtom
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

30-40 Brass Requests
Sep 19th, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
As a note to anyone wishing to shoot in the Roosevelt Commemorative Matches and in need of 30-40 rounds or brass, please be sure to contact all of the manufacturers and send them requests for either brass or loaded ammunition. I have sent requests to every manufacturer who has had a history of manufacturing rounds or components and will continue to do so until I can get a response. Now that the CMP has instituted these matches it would be to someone's economic interest to manufacture the components we will need.

Thank you.

drtom

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 30-40 Brass Requests
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Thanks so much for taking the time to contact the manufacturers.  We all should take an active role in this.  I've written Remington, and a few independent brass manufacturers in the past with little response (one told me they had no intention in creating brass unless there was an enormous demand for it... like somewhere in the neighborhood or 100,000 pieces).  I, for one, have no intentions in retiring my Krags anytime soon... and my herd of useable brass is starting to thin a little (9 cracked necks this season)... so I need to start thinking of replenishment.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2016 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I've written PRVI more than once, and asked Graf's to throw in their voice.  They could easily sell 100,000, in time.  If all else fails, I got lots of long bullet molds and .303 brass.  But I won't need to go that way for some time yet.

IP Logged

drtom
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2016 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
I am running into short sighted production managers who think that the 30-40 round is dead. Considering that there are quite a few thousand Krag, Winchester, and even Ruger rifles in the hands of both hunters and competition shooters there would be sufficient demand for at least twice a year runs for either brass or live ammunition. I too am using 303 brass that has been reformed in shooting at present.

drtom

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 2:04am
Print Post  
It's really silly of a company that already makes .303 to not make Krag brass too.  The bevel on the rim isn't a necessity, if they think that's a problem.

IP Logged

8iowa
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 1:17am
Print Post  
My son and I have sent emails to Hornady urging them to consider making 30-40 brass. It would seem that this cartridge would be a good fit for them.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Seems odd that one can still buy a Uberti copy (+/-) of a Winchester High Wall in 30-40, with several different style options.

IP Logged

Jim Teague
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
I sent e-mails to both winchester and remington and they would not even send me an e-mail back. Hope we can find someone or else I will have to use 303 brass even tho I don't want too.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 10:39am
Print Post  
I'm fortunate in that I started saving my brass over 30 years ago, so I amassed quite a lot of it (over 500 rounds worth).  Some of my brass, however has seen over 20 reloads, and is starting to wear very thin in the necks.  Every match now, I find at least one cracked neck.  Needless to say, my supply has been dwindling for awhile now.  Add to that the fact that I separated out 200 rounds for use with cast bullets in my benchrest sporter... and I'm down to under 250 useable cases left now.  I really don't want to resort to using .303 yet either.

I'm actually really pissed at myself for not buying new brass a few years ago when it was still available (and I had the money)!  Hopefully, we'll get Privi on board and get them making 30-40!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
I'm not waiting for my brass to wear out.  I have picked up two bags of Winchester .303 brass as an emergency fall back.  That gives me one hundred pieces to work with when the end comes.

Heck I may just run out and get a couple more bags.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I should probably start looking into getting some too.

IP Logged

Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Just go out and pick up a nice Lee Enfield No. 1 Mk III and then you have an even better reason to stock up on .303 brass. Then you'll have a 2 for 1 going.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
I have a SMLE somewhere in the pile along with two thousand rounds of S&B ammo.  Would you believe I have never shot it?  Of course I have seen neither of them since 2005.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 11:44am
Print Post  
As great as that sounds... one could wind up in a great deal of trouble if they weren't extremely careful.  Ammo loaded for 30-40 used in a British Enfield - no problem, although the accuracy would suck.  However, ammo loaded for .303 used in a Krag could spell a very bad day for the shooter!  Higher pressures coupled with the .312 dia. bullet would be well over the acceptable 40,000 cup acceptable pressure of the Krag action. 

Food for thought, and one of the reasons I'm very hesitant to use .303 brass for my Krags.  Although I don't own a .303 Enfield, I may one day!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Paul - With its case shoulder further forward, I don't believe a .303 round will chamber in a Krag. (So, it is not likely to be a safety issue).
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2016 at 5:24pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint