Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
When Winchester tried to pull a 'fast one'. (Read 2767 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

When Winchester tried to pull a 'fast one'.
Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:50am
Print Post  
I bought this 1962 Winchester catalog on ebay and it arrived, yesterday. I remember this ad campaign,(from when I was 14 years old).

The Winchester Company was exposed for mislabeling a photograph of Arizona Rangers.

My research reveals the photograph was taken at Morenci, Arizona, in 1903, during a Miners' Strike.

The man with the Krag carbine is Ranger Pvt. Charles Rie. Charles was a Pennsylvania born Blacksmith. He was a Ranger in 1903-04 and 31 years old, when he joined.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: When Winchester tried to pull a 'fast one'.
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Arizona Governor, Alexander Brodie (a former 'Rough Rider'), deployed "26" Rangers to the Clifton-Morenci Copper Mining area, around June 9th, 1903.

Winchester cropped the original photograph, which actually has 25 Rangers in it. There is also a second photograph, obviously taken at the same time, showing the same men in a more compressed grouping. (I don't know what happened to the 26th Ranger? Maybe he was taking the photos with his Kodak - LOL)!

The man at the extreme left, in both of these photos, is Ranger Captain - Thomas Harbo Rynning. He was a Rough Rider and 2nd Lt. of Troop B, 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, at San Juan Hill.

(Note - There appears to be the top of a caboose in the picture with all the Rangers standing. I think the photos were taken on the elevated plaza area, near this 'Company Store'. Some of the Rangers have their backs to the sunken rail lines. The stone retaining walls are similar).
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:37pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Interesting reading the ad too.  Winchester claims the man looks nervous because he is holding a Krag instead of a Winchester.  He doesn't look nervous to me... and truth be told, I would rather have the Krag!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I think you are right, Paul. Charles appears solid and in the 'know'. 

These men were recruited, because they were tough, had all of the 'Cowboy Skills', and were disciplined & civic minded.

The Arizona Territory was seeking Statehood, but, had to clean up a major problem with criminal gangs in short order.

I can believe, Charles Rie was a 'Blacksmith' and incredibly strong. He has the deceiving 'sloped' shoulders and funny 'neck build' of the 'Redwings' Gordie Howe, in his prime.

I don't know why Charles happened to have a Krag. He is not on the list of 'Rough Riders', although, some Arizona Rangers are said to have been in the Rough Riders.

The names of the Rangers, in the photo used by Winchester, are fortunately known. My next 'fun project' is to cross check names with known Rough Riders. 

IP Logged

Jim Teague
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 2:12am
Print Post  
I saw this add in boy's life, Damn I am getting old. LOL.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint