Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1896 Krag Carbine Repro. Rear Sight or Dimensions. (Read 2306 times)
10bears
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Krag Carbine Repro. Rear Sight or Dimensions.
Oct 17th, 2016 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I have an 1896 Krag Carbine that has been sporterized.

The stock has been modified, the rear sight has been removed & a peep sight & scope were added. (Probably a long time ago.)

Since an original rear sight is too expensive for my budget, I thought I'd be able to find a reproduction but no such luck.

Would any of you have a source for a reproduction rear sight?

I do have some background in machining. I should be able to make one.
Would any of you be able to supply me with dimensions for the rear sight? (Length, Width & Height would be great.)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Krag Carbine Repro. Rear Sight or Dimensions.
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
'10bears' - A logical route to go, for a facsimile of a carbine, is to simply to use a Krag model 1896 rifle rear-sight. The rifle sight dimensions are the same as the carbine sight. The significant difference is the spacing and magnitude of the range graduations.

S&S Firearms offered (and maybe still offers) a reproduction carbine rear-sight that was actually a 'remanufactured' rifle leaf and slide. Photos of such a sight are shown on the KCA photo page. (It's pretty crude, ugly and a waste of effort).

IMHO - It is better to use an honest model 1896 rifle sight and not mutilate an original part. Such a sight can often be found for $35 to $45.

IP Logged

10bears
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information. Smiley

I knew the 1896 rifle & carbine rear sights looked very similar, but I wasn't sure the mounting holes were interchangeable.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
'10bears' - All U. S. Krags (carbine and rifle) have the same location, thread, and hole-spacing on the barrel for the different rear-sight models.

The different Krag sight models require specific hand-guards (opening shape) and screw-length & head-shapes for correct mounting.

Model 1896 carbine and rifle rear-sights both use the same mounting screws and fit inside the same hand-guard 'sight-openings'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint