Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
In need of information (Read 1634 times)
Jvlv07
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

In need of information
Nov 15th, 2016 at 9:36am
Print Post  
So I acquired this rifle from a family friend. It's labeled Springfield armory but it's not stamped in the traditional manner. I can't really seem to find an actual serial number on it but the only two number markings on it are "1894" and "2012". It's chambered in 30-40 krag and it looks to be sporterized but something doesn't seem quite right about it. Can anyone help me out with some info on it?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: In need of information
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Howdy,  welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Krags!

You have a sporterized US Krag rifle with a cut down barrel (with a 1903 front sight installed) and shortened stock.  It appears that the Krag has been re-blued in addition to being sporterized.

The serial number should be a series of numbers to the right of "Springfield Armory" (1894 will be to the left).  If this is where 2012 is located, then that is the serial number (WOW, a pretty low number at that!).  A clear close-up picture of the left side of the receiver will confirm this.

Check the bottom of the stock under the barrel for a channel that has been filled in, which should be evident.  If so, then this will be a early stock with the cleaning rod channel that has been filled in.

Should be a nice shooter and hunting rifle!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint