Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Pacific sight on a Norwegian (Read 7134 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Pacific sight on a Norwegian
Nov 18th, 2016 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Today I got to piddling around with a Pacific no drill and tap receiver sight. With only a file, I was able to adapt it to a Norwegian Krag receiver. I had to reduce the diameter of the stud that replaces the cutoff shaft only a couple thousandths, even though there was actually .007 difference between it and the shaft of the original cutoff.  There's a difference in length, but I don't see that being a problem with a rimless case. The cut portion of the sight's stud is in the right position to allow feed, and it locks the side plate in as it's supposed to.

I also had to take a bit off the bottom of the upright in order to get it to fit the Norwegian's cutout for the cutoff!  I had to take enough off the bottom that a shorter 8-32 lock down screw was needed so that the head of the original screw didn't stick out and hit the gallows arm.

After wedging the upright connected to the stud in there, and running the gallows arm all the way down, measurement from the top of the arm down to the receiver indicated it was running uphill from left to right a bit.  So I took a few thousandths off the backside of the upright, where it was contacting the top of the cutoff slot.  After that, tightening the 8-32 locking screw and measuring the arm again had it within a couple thousandths of being square.

When I had this sight on a US Krag once, I had to put an extra set screw behind the elevation binding knob's screw in order to level the gallows arm up.

I thought my Norwegian project to be a better use for the sight, no drilling and tapping of the receiver.  If the guide rib is supposed to bear, I would think it'd be a good idea to not weaken that part of the receiver.  The Pacific isn't ruined for US use either.  With the proper screws, it could still be locked in position.

There's room for the bolt shroud and in order for the bolt handle to clear the windage knob, I have to be a minimum of 20 clicks up from bottom
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2016 at 7:34pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Pacific sight on a Norwegian
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 3:15am
Print Post  
At first, I thought I might be able to make a new stud.  The stud of the Pacific sight is a press fit into the block.  The smaller stud on the end, that fits into the block, is cut on an eccentric, in relation to the stud that goes into the receiver.  I wasted an aluminum cleaning rod, which just happened to be the same diameter as the the Norwegian's cutoff shaft.  That didn't work out with the threaded portion of the rod being on center with the shaft.  The little bit of step off provided by the Pacific's shaft is needed.  Without it, a bunch of material would have to be removed from the block of the upright in order to get things right.  When the notch is in the right place to allow feed, you're in the right spot for the eccentric shaft too.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Interesting to know & thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 3:43am
Print Post  
Glad to!  I think I'm going to enjoy it BR, it's the one with 10 clicks per full revolution of the adjustment knobs.  Well, let me rephrase that, I think someone with younger eyes than mine will enjoy it.  I need a scope anymore.  The poor old Pacific has been languishing unused for years.  I found some nice brass 8-32 knobs on ebay, for those who've lost their original elevation lock down screw, as I have.  Lighting hardware.

The Pacific allows room for the rear feet of a Miller Kodiak Mount for a removable scope.  I considered a Willam's FP-NK sight, but the base would have interfered with the mounting of the Miller, and of course required D&T 2 pretty closely spaced (about 3/8 c to c) holes in a line that I don't think is good behind a portion of the receiver that's bearing thrust.

If it works out, maybe I'll shoot it in a Michi-gun cast bullet match someday, iron sighted or scoped.  I like shooting at Washtenaw.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2016 at 5:12am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Yep... and I'll join you for that one too, since I only live about ten minutes from Washtenaw Sportsman Association!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Thursdays now, right?   I mean during the season, not right now.  They all enjoyed the time I shot my scoped full length Krag there.  As I recall, my 100yd group was about tennis ball size.  A 168gr Eagan bullet going around 2000fps.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Yeah, Thursdays.  When I went back to work last year, I had to skip the Thursday Cast match.  If you came to one, I would take a day off, though...

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
We'll not be hurrying that.  My vehicle needs replaced before I go on anymore distant adventures!  It's about to quit steering!  Anyone got a 89-92 Volvo SW with a good frame and body?  Would trade a 92/96 for same.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Not Krag related, but see what came of posting the fact that I needed another Volvo?  I noticed this one on ebay, starting at $400.  I also noted the bidders were going up $10 at a time.  I threw in a last second bid that I could barely afford and got it for $800.  Add a couple hundred to rent another car to go to Virginia to get it.  88, one year before they started importing them to the US.  A Canadian model I believe.  She's been in a garage a long time, very well cared for.  Back in 88, a $24,000 car.  It's so quiet, it's almost like driving an electric car!  They have garnered the nickname, "Swedish bricks".

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
So this is the ride you'll be arriving at Perry in???

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Yep, the SW, besides needing steering work, blew a front oil seal last time I revved it up to redline.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint