Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Frankinstien Krag? (Read 2309 times)
Roadking
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Frankinstien Krag?
Dec 5th, 2016 at 3:56am
Print Post  
Have a model 1896 W/serial # in the low 40,000's.
Has what looks like a sporter stock on it, no wood on top of forend and no cartouche on it. The rear sight looks like it's a 1902 but the back notched part of the sight you look thru  looks like from the sights pictures on the website here from a 1898. The left-right knurled adjustment screw is on the wrong side. It was my Father-in-law's who was a big gun guy, former marine and army vet during Korea. He was always working on one gun or another. Any thoughts on this

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Frankinstien Krag?
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:22am
Print Post  
'Roadking' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. It is neat that you 'inherited' your father-in-law's Krag. I hope you take up shooting it!

If you post some detailed pictures of the serial number, sights and muzzle crown, it is likely you will get more detailed observations.

A model 1896 Krag, in the low 40k range, was likely built around August - September, 1896, as an infantry rifle with a 30 inch long barrel. From what you have stated, someone restocked it for 'Hunting'. I don't believe you mentioned its present barrel length.

It sounds like, someone switched your 'windage-knob' around, so that they could adjust windage with their right thumb & forefinger.

This might seem convenient, but, it would cause the elevation and windage knobs to crowd and interfere with each other at low elevation.

Also, IMHO, a shooter rarely changes windage once it is adjusted for conditions, but, elevation is routinely changed for 200, 300, and 600 yard stages of a military match.

(Attached are photos of an 1898 rear-sight, the 1898 eye-piece, as altered for reuse, on the 1902 sight, and a straight 1902 sight). I hope this is helpful. I imagine, you will see why Springfield kept the knobs apart.

IP Logged

Roadking
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Frankinstien Krag?
Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the input sir. The rear windage adjustment is the center picture you displayed. (With the yellow background).
The Bed or housing the elevation and windage adjustments are hinged to is the picture on the right. (With the birchwood background). Seems like someone kind of altered or made one sight out of 2. When I get a chance I will take some pics of this and the whole rifle with the stock.

Would it be worth it to see if I could get my hands on an original stock and put it back to it's original state?

The front sight looks to be leaning to right side a bit. I can't tell if it's bent or corrision where the front blade is mounted into the housing that's attached to the barrel. That look like corrision on the left side might have pushed the blade to the right.

I would like to thank you for your time and input on my question. Pictures to come later. It's a busy time for me now but I will get to it.

Sincerly,
Roadking

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint