Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Update on Dempsey, Houdini, and Leonard. (Read 3032 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Update on Dempsey, Houdini, and Leonard.
Dec 10th, 2016 at 6:23am
Print Post  
A few years ago, I posted a picture from the Library of Congress Digital Collection - Bain News Service. It feature Jack Dempsey and Benny Leonard 'sparring' in dress shirts and ties, with Harry Houdini as 'Referee'. The News photo was taken in a gym. National Guardsmen holding Krags surround the 'combatants'.

The dates scratched into some of the plates, (there appear to be four related images), appear to be "1/16/25". (Note - Houdini died in 1926, Leonard retired 1/15/25).

I recently saw images of a Program from August, 1920, on the internet. It was for events connected with the New York Police Department Field Day (1920) at Gravesend Race Track. IIRC - the activities carried over a number of days.

In the program there is mention of events involving Jack Dempsey, Benny Leonard, and Houdini.

FWIW - I suspect the Bain photographs may chronicle 1920 preparations for the NYPD Field Day. 
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2016 at 7:25am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Update on Dempsey, Houdini, and Leonard.
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
I'm just digging seeing all of those Krags!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
I always like getting a little more context on photographs that are a bit of a mystery.

I appear to have made a mistake in assuming the young men with Krags were National Guardsmen, in the Jack Dempsey & Harry Houdini photograph.

I now believe they were NYPD recruits in training in 1920.

I found on-line a viewable 1920 NYPD "Annual Report". In the volume, there were references and photographs of recruit training and likewise for the 1920 Police Field Days.

The attached photograph of recruits drilling in a gym has a great similarity to the gym visited by Dempsey and Houdini. Also attached are references to NYPD departments using rifles.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
No Krags, but, a little bit on the NYPD Field Days, Sat. 21,1920 and Sat. 28, 1920.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Over on Jouster's, there's Rick the Librarian.  We should call you Chuck the Historian... cause you really got the historical stuff goin!  Great stuff Chuck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint