Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Second Range Trip for Project Krag (Read 3661 times)
bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Second Range Trip for Project Krag
Dec 20th, 2016 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
The Krag grouped a little under 1.5" at 100 yards with 40 grain IMR4035 loads and Hornady 220RN which I'm happy with. I think a better shooter with better sights could have done better.  It really does not like my 37 grain 4064 loads, grouping over 4 inches. It looked like a shotgun pattern. I've never seen powder make that much difference. If I had to use 4064, I'd cut the charge back to 34. I brought my sporter along for a comparison. My sporter likes varget with 168 grain HPBT; varget has a similar burn rate to 4064 but it did not shoot the 4064 with the 220RN as well as varget. I discovered my sporter likes the 4350 best too.  She's an honest sub 1" rifle; a special girl.

The sporter has a perfect 27" barrel and a Redfield receiver sight. The project rifle would shoot better with a receiver sight but I don't think it can beat the sporter.   

Question about loads: I have never fired a round in a Krag that was loaded in an actual 30-40 case, have always used 303 brit cause that all I could get.  The 40 grain 4350 load does not fully fire form the 303 case to the Krag chamber like the varget and 4064 loads as the pressure is obviously lower.  40 grains is the low end of the range in all my manuals but I've read that's the most common Krag recipe.  Anybody shooting any hotter loads?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Second Range Trip for Project Krag
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
You could presumably bump it up to 41 or so... but anything higher and you do so at your own peril.  The 40 grains should still fire form the brass though as the pressures, burn rate and velocity are optimum for a Krag.  Also, with headspacing on the rim instead of the shoulder, absolute forming to the chamber is not as critical as in other rifles.

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
The incomplete fire forming is not affecting accuracy and the cases will probably last longer.  I'm going to stay with the 40 grains of 4035.  I was probably loading the 4064 and Varget too hot.  Hope to get out this week and try some 200 yard groups.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Can't wait to see your 200 yard results.  Sounds like you'll tear it up in the Roosevelt!!!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 3:55am
Print Post  
The body will conform to the chamber after a couple cycles of being loaded and fired, provided you're neck sizing only.  Were you shooting the 220gr load out of the sporter, or did you load your 168s with 4350?

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I was shooting the 220 grain load in the sporter and the rifle. Haven't tried the 168s with 4350 yet. The spritzer tips don't cycle as well as the RN in my sporter.  Have to see how the rifle likes them.  Best load hands down so far is the 220RN/40grain4350 for both.  Attached is a pics from my 12/4 range trip.  Hope to get back out soon but been out of state for a couple weeks.  The sporter was still sighted in for the varget loads and the 4350 has quite a bit more drop but groups well.  The rifle doesn't group so well but still better than I'm capable.  Was not able to attach both pics.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
My friend... that is excellent grouping in ANYONE's book!

I think you'll find the 168s will like a little faster powder like the 4064 or perhaps 4895.  Just be mindful of your pressures.  Remember, you'll never want to try and get velocities out of your Krag like you see in other rifles (like a 30-06 or 7.62).

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 2:48am
Print Post  
So is this the winner of the 2017 vintage match at CP?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I am very good at making a good rifle shoot bad.   I love competing in matches though as it gives me a consistent way to measure my progress.  I shoot against myself.  Not many things I am doing better as I grow older. Grin

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
You and me both, my friend!

This year... we're gonna get Culpepper to come and show us all how it's REALLY done!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint