Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 1899 Carbine Modified (Read 10978 times)
h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1899 Carbine Modified
Dec 21st, 2016 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Greetings,

I am new to the Board. Some years ago i inherited an 1898 Rifle that belonged to my Great Grandfather. He purchased it from DCM or the NRA at some point. It was sporterized but cutting down the original stock but the barrel was left intact. I have never messed with the rifle but always thought i would like to restore it to original military configuration. So i got excited and started looking at Krag stuff online. Well a 1899 Carbine came up for sale on a local AZ gun enthusiast sight from C&R dealer. It was advertised as an exceptional 1899 Krag Carbine. I was not very smart and did not do any homework. I agreed to buy the rifle for 700.00. When i looked at it it did seem very nice. Since acquiring the rifle i got Poyers book and started collecting parts to restore the 1898 Rifle. Upon further inspection i noticed the following things about this carbine. I is an 1899 receiver S/N 230513. The stock appears to be a Carbine stock but it is inletted for a rear swivel and has a rifle lower band and swivel installed. The carbine spring is there to hold the lower band. The barrel has a 1905 front sight which i now know is not correct. So i dont know if the barrel has been changed to a 1903 Springfield barrel or a rifle barrel cut down to replace a bad carbine barrel. I guess i thought i was safe in getting a 1899 carbine as from what i can tell all 1899's were carbines. But this appears to be a modified unit with many anomalies. The rear sight and hand guard appear to be 1902 rifle sights and hand guard. No C on the sight body that i can find. So i think i was duped a bit. As i am finding this is common in the military arms collecting world. Just looking for insight, how bad was i screwed. Any idea what this is and what its origin might be. I will get to the 1898 rifle restoration in another thread. I have acquired a very nice stock and hand guard but it wont fit the 1902 sights installed on the rifle. I am having a time determining what the hand guard is for.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2016 at 3:19pm by h8pvmnt »  

Mike W.

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1899 Carbine Modified
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
More Pictures

Mike W.

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
more

Mike W.

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Last one

Mike W.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
From what I can see of the rear sight, it appears to be a 1902 carbine sight.  Some carbines had swivels installed, so don't get get the idea you got burned just yet.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
'h8pvmt' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

I am not picking on you, but, your Krag carbine seems familiar.

Did you post a picture of model 1899 Krag, #230512, on Culver's Shooting Page, as 'RickM', on 11/25/2016? - ("carbine verification please").

If so, several of us responded on Culver's Shooting Page and there are some observations, that you may have not read.

I am looking forward to seeing a post on your Great Grandfather's Krag.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2016 at 5:14am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 4:49am
Print Post  
'h8pvmt' - It is hard to tell, but, you might have a valuable sling, if it is an original.

Your rear sight appears to be a model 1902 sight 'top' on a model 1898 rifle base. (IMHO - Practical, but, not a Springfield Armory combination).

Your hand-guard (for the model 1902 sight) is a reproduction. It covers too much of the 'receiver ring'.

You have a model 1899 carbine receiver and stock. The oddly attached butt-swivel reduces the value of the stock.

Your front sight appears to be a commercial W. Stokes Kirk sight.

It is likely your barrel is a cut-down Krag rifle barrel. It appears it may be over 22 inches long to me. (Krag carbine barrels were 22 inches, when measured from the muzzle to the closed bolt face. FWIW - Unaltered, 1903 Springfield barrels are about 23 1/4 inches long). If your barrel is over 22 inches long, it is made from a Krag rifle barrel.

I am attaching two pictures that may help you tell if you have a Krag barrel. The 1st picture is of the "P" (proof) mark that was put on Krag barrels. The 2nd picture shows the 'index' mark on Krag barrels and receiver.

Enjoy this Krag as a good looking 'shooter' and for lessons learned.

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
'h8pvmt' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

I am not picking on you, but, your Krag carbine seems familiar.

Did you post a picture of model 1899 Krag, #230512, on Culver's Shooting Page, as 'RickM', on 11/25/2016? - ("carbine verification please").

If so, several of us responded on Culver's Shooting Page and there are some observations, that you may have not read.

I am looking forward to seeing a post on your Great Grandfather's Krag.

No sir that was not me, possibly the shyster i bought it from posted that. But thanks for the heads up. I used the pictures from the for sale ad that he had up in post so its likely they are the same pictures too.  I did measure the barrel and its exactly 22" measured with a cleaning rod against a closed bolt. I will take it apart at some point and see about the proof marks on the barrel. Thanks for all the responses.

Mike W.

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Actually after re-reading the Culvers post that may have been someone else smarter than me that was looking at the same gun. But he did some homework first and did'nt buy it.... IDK either way its mine now.

Mike W.

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
'h8pvmt' - It is hard to tell, but, you might have a valuable sling, if it is an original.

The sling is a Reproduction, its too nice to be original. Looks like the 25.00 ones that are on Ebay.  I Will Use it on my restoration of my grandfathers rifle. I will get a carbine band, look for a carbine site and maybe find a stock or try and fill in the rear swivel in-letting. I will x-ray the barrel(I own a Non Destructive Testing Lab in Phoenix) to see if there is a Krag dovetail under that banded sight. If so i will attempt to get the correct one reattached, if not that will stay as a reminder...... End of the day its a great shooter and only a handful of people would ever ding me for it at the range. I am a military vehicle collector Specifically 1950 Willys CJV35/U Marine Corps Radio Jeeps. I know full well the wrath of miltary collectors.....

Mike W.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
'h8pvmt' - Thank you for acknowledging my response to your query. ('RickM' did not).

I think you got a nice looking sling. (How long is it? Any markings?).

I am attaching a photo of the longer, (72" - too long for Krag), model 1887 sling for the 'trapdoor' Springfield. It will show you how the Krag sling should be 'threaded' on your Grandfather's Krag.

Also, attached is a photo of the muzzle area of a model 1899 carbine. The original front sight base mounting is, (thankfully), hard to replicate.

It is real easy to invest too much money in "restoring" a Krag and in reality, you end up with a Fake.

Your wood repairs and a carbine barrel-band sound sensible. (Movieman630 has '99 carbine bands on ebay).

Front sight issue gets trickier and easily borders on Fakery.

Original Carbine rear sights start at $200 (model 1901) and climb quickly for model 1896, 1898, and 1902 versions. The mixed '98/'02 hybrid you have is a good practical 'shooter' remedy.

Nice original hand-guards are bringing $125-plus, now.

You can invest a lot of money to make it 'right', but, it won't be 'right'. There is a lot to be said for enjoying a Krag, as is, or with minor tweeks.

Spend $20 and get Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine". It is not perfect, but, it is informative and enjoyable.

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the pictures, the sling is marked Rock Island Arsenal E.H.S. My comment on the front sight would only be employed if the original dovetail was somehow under there and the original site base could be found and reattached properly. I would never endeavor to fake the end of a non original barrel. I bought Poyers book slightly after the gun purchase which is what brought me here and to question what i got with this 1899 rifle. I never do this work on guns for profit only for my own enjoyment and satisfaction. The restoration of my grandfathers Krag will put me money wise into the 6-700 range just in parts (paid 400.00 for a complete original stock). But i had no initial investment and thankfully the actual receiver, barrel and action had never been modified. Only the stock, bands and the rear sights needed attention. So it will be very satisfying to return it to its old glory even if its not exactly the way it was born. Gunbroker is full of Krags right now that people are asking ridiculous prices for but very few have sold in the short time i have been watching. This reminds me of my foray into Garands and Carbines, the market is wrought with forgery's and misrepresentations. I decided to forgo the rare original Garands and Carbines for the more affordable CMP units that i could shoot and enjoy. Once i get my parts together on the project 1898 i will start posting pictures and progress. Have a great Holiday and thanks again for all the information. Oh and thanks for the tip on the Carbine band i ordered one today. Now to figure out the wood repair on the butt stock. The Handguard i will probably not worry about as i think it looks very nice the way it is.

Mike W.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
The CMP is (IMHO) the way to go for a Garand.  Far too many collectors out there looking for "Correct" and "Original" Garands... and it just doesn't happen anymore.  Arsenal rebuilds put the kybosh to that for most military rifles!  My Garands are CMP also... except for my Dad's (which my brother has) which was a DCM request... and came packed in cosmoline. 

Do you shoot in CMP sponsored matches?  If so, when you restore your grandfather's Krag, as long as it's in "As Issued" condition (all of the bits and pieces are correct), you can shoot that as well.  I shoot my 1898 in matches throughout the year!

Cheers

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
I have only shot a couple of informal CMP matches, but if i can get the reloading of the 30-40 synced up i will be interested in shooting the old 1898.

Mike W.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Fear not....  We'll get you headed in the right direction.  I find the matches I shoot with my 1898 far more rewarding than any I shoot with other rifles (Garand, K31, 1903, Arisaka, etc.)!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint