Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Possible deal on a Krag, please school me (Read 6184 times)
Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

Possible deal on a Krag, please school me
Jan 15th, 2017 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Hello all,

I stumbled upon a possible deal on a Krag carbine. I would like to know as much as possible as to what it is, and how much it is worth. Unfortunately, somebody years ago sanded away the cartouches (outline still visible) and sporterized the stock.

Everything locks up great, the side mag is tight as can be, rifling is fantastic. The rear sigh is graduated up to 2000 with the left side having 1,2,3,B,4. When the leaf is flipped up the number 3 is stamped into the base. The front sight appeared to be soldered onto the barrel at first, but upon close inspection it is actually dovetailed in. Doesn't seem to be a home gunsmith job at all.

It also doesn't look like one of the Bannerman specials with the 1903 front sight.

The barrel is 24", or just a hair over. Shaky hands, dowel rods, and tape measures aren't great. On the left side of the receiver is stamped

U.S.
MODEL 1898     SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 104XXX

There are some markings on the receiver under the stock, i'll try to get some pictures in a little bit. No pitting under the wood line either.

Any and all input is appreciated. He's hoping it's a real Krag carbine that some goofball destroyed the stock on, and so am I. If not, knowledge is still power.

Thank you in advance.

IP Logged

Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

Re: Possible deal on a Krag, please school me
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
More pictures

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
This Krag is actually a model 1896 rifle that has been 'cut-down'.

Springfield did not make a 24 inch barrel. The barrel is shortened from 30".

Model 1896 is stamped deeply so it is easily mistaken for '1898'. The model 1896 and 1898 actions are different. This is most noticeable at the 'notch' for the root of the bolt-handle.

The rear-sight is a 1901 rifle sight. The 1901 carbine sight graduations go up to 5 (500yds) on the base and 23 (2300yds) on the leaf. The forward sight screw is missing.

The stock is a shortened rifle stock.

The front-sight has been re-cycled and nicely re-mounted on the shortened barrel.

This altered Krag would make a nice shooter, but, is only worth about $275 to $300. (In my experience, such altered Krags are difficult to sell).
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2017 at 5:04am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the information. It is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2017 at 9:23pm by Flatlander15 »  

IP Logged

Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Do these 1896's have any safety concerns? There are five boxes of ammunition that is available with it, all factory Remington and Winchester.

I had a low number 1903 for a while but couldn't stand having a gun I wasn't comfortable shooting so down the road it went.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
So long as the weapon is sound... factory Remington and Winchester should be fine... and relatively accurate too!  Most of the cutdown sporters were modified to make them more practical for hunting purposes, so there's no reason it shouldn't continue to be a fun and useful shooter!  Judging by the pictures, it looks to be in pretty good shape... but if you still have concerns, have a gunsmith who's knowledgeable with Krags and Antique weapons give it the once over.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
I believe that is actually a Model 1898 stock which has been (VERY neatly but still incorrectly) reshaped around the bolt root to mimic the rounded scallop on a true 1896 stock. Younger eyes, other minds, what say you?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 2:19am
Print Post  
Dick is right about the wood being a model 1898 stock that has been altered to fit the model 1896 receiver. I didn't notice the 'scallop cut' was absent around the bolt handle recess.

p.s. - I would feel quite safe using the mentioned ammo in this Krag.

Although all U.S. Krags have the same metallurgy as early 1903 Springfields, they do not have the same reputation for failure.

IMHO - a lot of the U.S. Krag's safety is related to its rimmed cartridge. In the event of cartridge case-wall failure, hot high pressure gases remain in the chamber to propel the projectile down the barrel. The case rim is a seal and prevents the gases from entering the action, to do mischief.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:27am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Thank you all. The level of knowledge here is astonishing. If we work out a deal I plan on trying hand loading (never done) with cast lead bullets (never done) to make light recoiling 50-100 yard plinking fodder. Even cut down, it still is a neat piece of history.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Well, you've certainly come to the right place for advice on loading too!  Most of us load our own for our Krags these days, so we can definitely get you headed down the right path!

IP Logged

Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

More pictures
Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

Reply #12 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
I've hit a conflicting issue. The more I hold the rifle, the more I fall in love with it, stock included. What irritates me terribly is that somebody cut down the buttplate and added a plastic one. How hard would it be to retrofit an original buttplate back on this? Did they ever come totally flat or are they all curved at the bottom?

If that doesn't work, I'd at least want a metal one. I've done the wooden dowel trick to plug old screw holes, and would fill in the trapdoor slots so that part of it isn't outside of my abilities.

The barrel looks indexed right based on the lines but on one side of the barrel where it screws in is a very slight gap. Is this normal?

Lastly, is there any info I can get out of those markings on the receiver and magazine?

Thank you again.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
'Flatlander15' - The "hieroglyphics" on Krag Bolts, Buttplates, Magazine-Gates, and Receivers are believed to indicate inspections that followed various manufacturing steps. The exact meaning is probably no longer known.

The original model 1892 Butt-Plate was flat. The Butt-Plate 're-curve', at the stock 'toe', likely came as a result of 'flat Butt-Plate stocks' being prone to splitting, when rifles were sharply placed at "Order Arms".

A cut of wood has been taken off of your Krag's (altered model 1898 stock) in order to fit the plastic butt-plate.

It would be a bit of a waste to try and use an original 'Flat Butt-Plate' or a good later Krag butt-plate on this stock. It would require a lot of wood and metal shaping for it to look right.

I would use this stock, as is, or find a 'junk -altered' Krag butt-plate that comes close and 'flatten' the re-curve.

(There are a lot of 'altered' Krag butt-plates, that were narrowed for 'sportered' stocks. You have the plastic butt-plate as a guide).

The fit of your barrel and receiver look correct.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint