Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New Here and I need help in identifying my Krag (Read 2075 times)
ARKLITE881South
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Here and I need help in identifying my Krag
Mar 1st, 2017 at 7:24am
Print Post  
Its a 6.5x55, been cut down, barrel length is 19.25'' from the muzzle to the face of the action. It is marked 1915 on the top of the action, with what looks like a crown above that. To the left of the 1915 date is another crown looking mark laying down, appears to be on its side. It is a 4 digit serial number and every # on the rifle matches. Who ever did this, put a ramp front sight on it, and a lyman 57K peep sight on the rear. Its a great shooting little rifle and is very accurate all things considering. Besides being cut down, modified , what can you tell me about this little rifle? Thanks for any help you can give me.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Here and I need help in identifying my Krag
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
'ARKLITE': Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You appear to have an altered Norwegian Krag that was made at Kongsberg Arsenal, in 1915. (The other 'mark', you mention, may be a stylized "K", for Kongsberg).

Since it is dated 1915 and has a four digit serial number, it probably started life as a model 1912 carbine. (Your serial number likely falls between #4,069 and #8,751).

A complete serial number and photos of markings, the trigger-guard, and the original rear sight mounting, would allow this to be confirmed.

(The attached Photo is of an original Norwegian model 1912 carbine, made in 1924.  Note, many earlier carbine bolt-knobs will be flat and 'checkered'):

IP Logged

ARKLITE881South
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the reply about my Krag. I'm new to the forum and have not checked out the ''how to post pictures'' yet. I'm sure you are correct about where the rifle was built. All serial #s on the rifle are 7593. That included the bolt handle, which is flat and checkered. The trigger guard, barrel. receiver, even the butt plate, is marked 7593. The stock has been cut down and ''sporterized'', As i stated in my post, the rear sight is a aftermarket Lyman peep sight # 57 K sight.thanks again for your time. ARKLITE881South

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
'ARKLITE' - Your serial number, #7,593, confirms your Krag to be a Norwegian model 1912 carbine, built in 1915. The barrel, as issued, was 24 inches long.

(Photo of another model 1912 carbine with a 'flat' bolt-knob. The trigger-guard had provision to 'snap' the sling at the front of the guard. Also photos of original sights).

p.s. - Thanks for acknowledging my response. A lot of people don't, these days. I am always glad to help.

IP Logged

ARKLITE881South
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers, thank you again for the help, and the great pictures, i DO appreciate it. Smiley Going to get out and do some more shooting with this little rifle, i'll figure out the picture thing and post some if i can.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint