Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
First Krag Match (Read 2115 times)
bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

First Krag Match
Mar 8th, 2017 at 12:50am
Print Post  
My first ever match firing a Krag had mixed success.  The  good : with the speed loaders, rapid fire reloading was a non-event.  I can even slow down.  The bad :  I shot really badly, especially offhand.  Didn't clean slow prone.  Not that I always clean slow prone but was good until the last shot (9). So went the day.
I need to spend some time dry firing before my next match and fix the offhand.  I'm travelling this week and my JCG match rifle, Claire, is with me.  We're practicing in the hotel every evening.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: First Krag Match
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 11:47am
Print Post  
So welcome to the wonderful world of Krag Awful-Hand, LOL!  You are not alone.  Last year at the Roosevelt, I shot a 94-2X Slow Prone, and an 80 something Rapid... and then a dismal low 50s Off-Hand, with two stupid misses in which I hit the berm!  Trying to hold that long 30 inch barrel steady is a lesson in futility!

Ok, take heart because there is hope.  I have a friend who routinely shoots in the 90s Off-Hand with his 96.  His trick is Practice Practice Practice!  He shoots a reduced load, but mostly, he has a target on his basement wall, and practices for hours holding steady and dry-firing.  Now I think a Snap Cap would be more in order than dry-fire... or a case with the primer replaced with a piece of hard rubber... but the practice is the key.

My first match of the year is two weeks from Saturday at Kalamazoo, and I SOOOOO can't wait.  Each local match I shoot is just practice to get me ready for the Nationals.  This year, I'm going to take Perry by storm!

So happy to hear that the chargers helped, by the way!

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: First Krag Match
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 1:39am
Print Post  
I just posted a link to a Stevens-Pope barreled Krag.  That is what you need for offhand practice.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint