Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
A.L. Woodworth (Read 3642 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

A.L. Woodworth
Apr 13th, 2017 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Mr. A.L. Woodworth was a Civilian Employee of Springfield Armory starting in 1902. In reviewing SA photo descriptions, he is mentioned as "Armory Proof Assistant".

In doing a little research, I found, he was good friends with Col. Townsend Whelen and Grosvenor Liebenau Wotkyns.

With Wotkyns and G.A. Woody, A.L. Woodworth was instrumental in developing the .22 Hornet cartridge.

A.L. Woodworth also devised a Machine Rest, the "Woodworth Cradle", that was utilized in Armory testing of rifle accuracy, starting in 1924.

One source gives the name, A.L. Woodworth, as the Inspector "A.L.W.", whose initials appear on U.S. Colt .38 cal. Service Revolvers from 1905 to 1928. (I am not aware of a Colt .38 revolver that was still in U.S. service during that period).

Cropped photos showing: Mr. A.L. Woodworth with NM Springfield rifle, at SA "Bircham Bend Range" (pre-1924), and ammo testing with Mann Barrel.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2017 at 1:11am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: A.L. Woodworth
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 1:58am
Print Post  
So he was the first gangsta shooting his gun up-side down like that.

Interesting.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
I purchased a vintage post card to add to my rifle range photo collect some years ago.

In reading the back I was excited to see that it was addressed to A L Woodworth in Springfield. From his shooting friend GA Woody. Woody was at the 1909 national championships at Camp Perry and wrote of his frustration that near perfect shooting failed to win anything.

A "50 at 800" would mean a perfect score on the old military 5V targets at 800 yards. Can't tell from the photo if they were shooting Krags or M1903 Springfields. Interesting history.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Cat Man - Your Post Card is super cool. Please show the other side!

IMHO - In 1909 it is likely he was shooting a 1903 Springfield at Camp Perry.

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2017 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Here is the photo side of the Woodworth postcard.

The Army provided the target pullers and the scorekeepers. All a civilian shooter had to do was shoot.

I have lots of other pictures. Can post more if you fellows would like to see more Krags on the firing line.

The team photo with early 1903's was cool too.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2017 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Boy, I wish they provided the table/chair units these days.  It sure would make things easier for the scorekeeper!  Awesome picture.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Yea, on rainy days you could keep the scorecard dry by hiding it in the cubby hole of the desk!  Send a suggestion to CMP!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint