Wacky World of Oilers (Read 2770 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Wacky World of Oilers
Apr 14th, 2017 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
In the words of the Tin Man: "Oil Can"!

Over the years, without intentionally trying, I have accumulated an odd assortment of metal firearm oil containers, U.S., British, and European.

The Krag "Pocket Oiler" has eluded me thus far, but, my photo shows some common and some rare ones in my stash.

IMHO, The German K-98K cleaning kit and oiler has to take the prize for 'stupidest and most inconvenient'. Thankfully, the resources tied up in that complex 'CAN' probably reduced the number of Tanks, U Boats, and Planes, the Allies had to face in WW2.

Surprisingly, I think the French had one of the best kits. It carried oil, oil & grease applicator, a double screwdriver blade, and a cleaning brush. It packed up compact and you could drive a Tank over it. This 'silent' tool was around for over 50 years, from Chassepot to Lebel and Berthier rifles.

I bet you guys have some interesting examples and opinions on oil containers and rifle tools.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2017 at 7:22pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Wacky World of Oilers
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Like butlersrangers, I have also acquired many oilers through the years.

Most of the time oilers are stored in the butt stock of the rifle/carbine or carried in a separate location.

However, I thought the designers of the FR7/FR8 used a unique approach when they developed this rifle.

The FR7 or FR8, sometimes known as the automatic bolt action rifle, was produced because of the need for a training weapon for the Spanish military to use while awaiting issue of the newly developed CETME battle rifle.

FR7 and 8's were produced by using old Spanish Mausers and parts from the CETME rifle.  Yes, the same Spanish Mausers that were probably used to shoot at our boys during the Span Am war.

The primary feature of the FR is the upside down use of the CETME rifle barrel.

Since there was no need for a gas chamber it was decided to be use it as a place for storage and to continue as a bayonet lug.

Supposedly the FR7/FR8 was Jeff Cooper's inspiration for the Scout Rifle concept.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Additional photos

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
'Local Boy' - That's neat! I did not know about the 'Spanish Kit' for the .308 Mauser FR7/FR8.

I did have one of the Century Arms 'Cetme' rifles for a while. It was properly set-up with the repro receiver and performed quite well.

It looked quite foxy when I replaced the black plastic stock with Spanish Wood & sling and German Aluminum magazines.

It was quite handy and accurate with German and Portuguese 7.62 NATO ammo and functioned without hiccup, once I switched to the $2.97 German magazines. (I had problems with one bad Spanish mag).

I traded it when the cheap excellent surplus ammo dried up. I didn't have the heart to reload brass for a fluted chamber.

I had a German H&K cleaning kit. My 'Cetme' lacked a flash hider, so I skipped getting a bayonet.

I liked the simplicity of the sights, (two leaf rear 'peep' and 'off-set' front post, adjustable for windage and elevation). It was very dead-on at 100 yards!

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
About the oddest one I have in my possession is the oiler for the Vz52 rifle.

The bottom is a traditional oil bottle, the screw on lid had a spring loaded plate that is threaded for the cleaning rod.

So the oil bottle is also the cleaning rod handle.

Starting from bottom left:

Chamber brush
Oiler/Cleaning Rod Handle
Bore Guide
Gas Piston Carbon Scraper
Patch holder
Cleaning Jag
3 x cleaning rods.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint