Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
A fun coffee table book (Read 2214 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

A fun coffee table book
Apr 17th, 2017 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
The Images of America Series has a volume titled: "Springfield Armory".

I received a copy yesterday in my Easter basket.

Written by Alex MacKenzie and published by Arcadia Publishing, it sells for $21.99.

The paper back volume does not have much coverage of the Krag era, but, it is an interesting collection of S.A. photographs and graphics.

I am enjoying it.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: A fun coffee table book
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Alex MacKenzie throws some light on the operations at the Hill Shops.

In the late 1880s, the Armory constructed three new buildings in the then vacant area called 'Federal Square'. (East of the Armory Square complex).

The Stocking Department, Milling, Machine and Filing Shops were located in these new structures. Those overhead pulleys were powered by stationary steam engines, located nearby.

It is in this location that much of the work in manufacturing the Krag rifles and carbines was done.

(Federal Square is now the site of the Springfield Technology Park and it would appear that some of the Springfield Armory structures have been repurposed for 'high tech' companies).
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2017 at 3:59am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 11:48am
Print Post  
The Water Shops and Dam would have appeared like this during much of Krag production:

IP Logged

JimW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
We stopped in to the museum there a few years back on a motorcycle trip. Really interesting, but much smaller than we imagined.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
I have never been there (live in CA) but it is on my 'bucket list'.

Like everyone else in the business, I'm sure they are operating on a shoestring budget which probably does not permit having much of the collection on display ay any one time. I also suspect that they have probably devoted a lot of space to "interpreting" the artifacts for the (mostly) uneducated average visitor, with over-the-top graphics, fancy lighting, bright swaths of color, with emphasis on just how PC and mulit-cultural they can possibly be. Yes, I understand that they must do this in order to survive. Sad

I recall the various museums of my youth quite fondly - wonderfully musty dark places, with row upon row upon row of neatly-labelled specimens, with very little distracting chaff in the background. The stuff looked 'old', not all spiffed up.

There is also the security aspect. People are not as civil or well-behaved as they once were. Thugs just didn't go to museums. There are full-auto weapons to be considered, too. However, apparently some of the old scholars were not averse to nipping a thing or two that wasn't nailed down, so not all security is a bad thing.

There used to be a guided tour of the second floor, where a lot of the "good stuff" is stored, but I believe that practice has been discontinued. Probably the only way to really see it all now is to "know somebody" or at least set up a visit in advance.

Sorry for the jumble of thoughts, but I think you get my drift.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 11:02am
Print Post  
I'd also love to visit!  I actually love going to museums, and back a few years ago when I traveled a lot for work to various military installations, I would frequently visit the local museums (the armory museum at the US Army's Aberdeen Proving Ground is a must-see).  I never made it to Mass. but one day, I hope to!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint