Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New to me Krag, need some help (Read 1849 times)
timgd
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New to me Krag, need some help
Apr 18th, 2017 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Recently purchased a mildly sporterized 1898  carbine with the intent to restore and use for vintage matches. After some reading this forum and others I don't think it started life as a carbine, wrong s/n range. The only mods done to it are the butt was cut and a recoil pad added,a redfield no drill sight added and a ramp front sight soldered on. I can fix all that if there is a dovetail under the ramp. After removing the stock I found that the index marks don't line up so the barrel might have been changed or cut to carbine size,I don't know.Barrel is 22 1/2 in long to the bolt face and .638 dia. at the muzzle, so do I try to restore or use as is? PS barrel crown looks like it is factory stock.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New to me Krag, need some help
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 11:14am
Print Post  
If it's 22 1/2 inch from muzzle to closed bolt face, then it is definitely not a carbine barrel!  The barrel was most likely cut down, and I doubt you'd find a dovetail under the ramped sight.  If it's in a true carbine stock, and you restored it as an 1898 carbine, then it would be known to be not a true carbine, and also not eligible for Vintage Matches.  Also, trying to restore it to it's original military configuration would be a pricey affair.  My advice would be to enjoy it as it is and invest your money in finding a rifle or "True" carbine in "As Issued" condition for matches.  They're out there!

IP Logged

timgd
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
I must have been having a brain fart last night, its been a couple of weeks since I checked the barrel it is 22 in. plus maybe .030-.040 in. Still to long so it is most likely a cut down rifle. To bad because the stock and hand guard are in pretty good shape except for the missing 1 in.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
22 inches is the correct length for an original carbine barrel. As mentioned earlier, that is using a cleaning rod  to touch the bolt, mark your cleaning rod at the end of the barrel and measure.
The other members will be able to tell how much you carbine is original if you post pictures.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint