Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sporter/Restoration Question (Read 2361 times)
Hoot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Sporter/Restoration Question
May 3rd, 2017 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
I'll post this in the Sporter category but my question somewhat straddles the line. Either way, it seems like folks here happily spend time in all areas.

The back story: A few years back, I fell in lust with a friend's sporter Krag. Absolutely marvelous rendition of the breed and I was taken. Some bit of time later, I picked up a lovely piece of walnut with which to build my very own. The only thing needed was a donor rifle and I knew one would be along shortly.

Well sure enough, I happen into a Krag rifle which has had the military stock cut and handguard removed, all for a reasonable price. The bore is decent and may scrub out better but I haven't put much effort into it yet.

Coincident to this time, I also fell in lust (it's a common thread in my life) with various long-barreled English sporting rifles. I thought that maybe I could start with the full rifle-length Krag done up all "Englishy" and, if it proved too ungainly, cut it back a bit. I already have a 24" sporter Krag so I was thinking something a bit more leggy.

My quandary comes with the fact that I have a relatively unmolested Krag rifle. It has virtually no finish left but it also does not have any holes which are not factory issued or other permanent modifications.

This leads me to wondering if perhaps it should be brought back to martial goodness, albeit "restored". I'd need all the wood (or perhaps a forearm splice plus handguard) and perhaps a few bits of stock metal but not much. Yep, I know it has little or no collector value as is or restored and, if I did so, I would be putting some sort of laminated card in the butt stock indicating date of restoration and what all had been done. Would this sort or rifle be allowed in these military arms matches? I'm not now a participant but it sounds interesting.

Down side to the above is that I'll have to find another Krag to scratch that sporter itch. Darn!

I know it's my rifle to do with as I please but I would appreciate hearing any thoughts.

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Sporter/Restoration Question
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2017 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I did a similar thing with an inherited Krag that was sporterized but unmolested. So I returned it to its military glory and it certainly is eligible for most vintage military rifle matches. Nothing in those rules say it must have the original parts it was born with. Just correct parts. In its military form it's much more interesting and elegant to me. I don't see any down side to your plan. There are damn few of these rifles left in original condition as it is. Most had arsenal updates or changes made after Surplus purchases. Don't forget pictures.

Mike W.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2017 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
'Hoot' - It will cost you about $200 for Repro Krag forearm, hand-guard, and original front barrel-band. You will end up with a nice 'shooter' that is match legal.

As you have learned, Krag stuff shows up if you are patient.

Who knows, maybe you will luck into a full-length Krag stock.

Don't cut-down a full length Krag barrel. There are shortened barrels that show up all the time on ebay and gunbroker. Have a competent gunsmith switch barrels.

Better yet, buy another Krag that someone has messed up and cropped the barrel.

You can make your English Sporting Rifle stock now and fit it to your full-length Krag. It can always be switched to another Krag with a cropped barrel.

IP Logged

Hoot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2017 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your thoughts. This particular project is a bit out in front as there are a few others on the bench. I think butlersrangers suggestion is a dandy: 'Leave the metal bits alone, build the sporter, search for the replacement military bits and another previously molested Krag.' Best of both worlds. Brilliant!

I will try to remember pictures of the journey. I should probably put up a couple of my 1894 1896 sporter for perusal.

Edited: date correction
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2017 at 11:30am by Hoot »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint