Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 What have I got? (Read 10087 times)
RV-6
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

What have I got?
May 4th, 2017 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
this is my first post on the board and I am not a Krag collector or enthusiast. I know it shoots 6.5x55

There are no sights on the barrel and it has the original bayonet lug on the front. Barrel measures just shy of 24"

Here are some pictures of stamps on the receiver and barrel and other parts.

Sorry that the picture came out so huge. They look small on my Mac.

Gary
Pine, CO

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: What have I got?
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2017 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
You have mismatched parts of a Steyr (Austrian contract) made model 1894 Norwegian Krag. The rifle was originally built in 1896 or 1897 for Norway.

During WW2, Norway was occupied by Nazi Germany. Your rifle was rebuilt, in 1944, to a pattern demanded by the Germans, with a 24" barrel.

The Norwegians nicknamed this version, "Stomperud", after a comic strip character.

IP Logged

RV-6
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2017 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Interesting. I would never have guessed it was originally produced in 19th century.

Two questions.

1. Is anyone interested in this firearm? As far as I can tell nothing has been sawed off it. It is in very good shape. I do have a sport stock that goes with it. I can provide more pictures (smaller) if needed.

2. Will it require the use of an FFL to transfer ownership?

I have a lot of firearms and have no need for this one. I am willing to send this to anyone who needs/wants it for parts or restoration.

The price would be shipping only. I want no money for the actual rifle unless one feels compelled to add to my retirement fund.
I do have some factory loads for the rifle although I have no idea how to ship them.
I do have reloading dies for the cartridge.

If anyone is interested contact me at:
gary at zilik.net

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2017 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Gary - Thanks! I would have an interest in your 'Stomperud' parts.

IP Logged

RV-6
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2017 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
The rifle has been spoken for.

Gary
Pine, CO

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2017 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Thank you Gary for considering KCA members.

Your partial 'Stomperud' Norwegian Krag is historically interesting and worthy of a proper restoration.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2017 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I'm the one that got this from Gary.  His father paid $10+$4 shipping for this barreled action in 1961.  After examining it closely, I would venture to say it is unfired.  There was a little rust in the bore, but it cleaned up nice and shiny.  No powder residue came out of the barrel.  I had a cutdown 1912 stock, and the action is resting in it for now.  A lot of proper stock sets were on gunbroker, but of course I got to the last auction just in time to see it end with "Buy it now".  In time, I will built it more like it should be, and for a time, it will remain unfired.  The bore slugs .255/.2645, which I like, no need for those oversized molds and sizing dies.  I have a nice 163gr FN NOE mold.  It has to be seated awfully deep, the base is about even with the rear of the case shoulder.  In my alloy, checked and lubed, it weighs closer to 150gr.  The bullet has a fat nose too with ogive at .259", it would have a lot of bearing surface.  Gary, thanks a bunch!  I'll try, in time to get it more as it should be.  Resisting the temptation to shoot it will be very, very hard!  And with you sending dies and other ammo components, it will be even harder, you devil!  Always, always with the temptation!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2017 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
I'm glad it went to a good home!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2017 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Fishing for parts BR, I have a rear sight on the way, and a fellow in Norway has a front sight.  Those are things that are going to make it even harder to resist shooting!  Chamber is pretty tight, new Norma brass seats snugly to the shoulder.  I have to make a move within a week, that'll insure it gets put on the back burner for awhile.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Hot dog, 1894 stock sets came up on gunbroker again, and I ordered one.  This rifle is on its way to being in proper configuration!  Well, close as I'm going to get it.  Now to get that front sight!

IP Logged

Oly Olson
KCA Forum Member

Kongsberg Collector

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:23am
Print Post  
madsenshooter wrote on Jun 8th, 2017 at 3:05pm:
Hot dog, 1894 stock sets came up on gunbroker again, and I ordered one.  This rifle is on its way to being in proper configuration!  Well, close as I'm going to get it.  Now to get that front sight!

Nice!!  Your Stomper is just a few numbers from mine!  Almost exactly the same markings.  (I just posted pics of mine to the other Stomper thread.)  Mine looked unfired when I got it as well.

Hubba hubba!   Cheesy

Oly

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Front sight is on the way, so is the stock set, from Poland.  If anyone has an 1894 stock already cut for a 24" barreled rifle, I'd prefer not to cut down a full length stock.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:38am
Print Post  
All the parts I need have arrived from across the pond.  I would still rather not cut the full length stock, so I'll put the project on hold for now.  There is another 1944 stomperud with serial # over 1000 on GB as I write this, 6/22/17.  That will be an auction I'll be watching!  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 2:11am
Print Post  
The infamous "gray blanket" seller - that one will mysteriously sell for $1,875!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 11:19am
Print Post  
He comes up with some fairly rare stuff, I've noted.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint