Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 What have I got? (Read 10135 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: What have I got?
Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Already I have a dilemna.  Here's pic of the stomperud sitting in a 1894 stock I purchased.  Serial # of the stock indicates a Steyr made Krag was in it at one time. Looking around at other images of the model, it appears the front barrel band is behind a step that is in the barrel.  However, the upper band that came on mine would best fit just forward of that step.  It appears that I would be better off to shorten it by taking a portion out of the middle and splicing the front part where the upper band seat and spring are, in the right place.  The other stomperuds I can find images of must have used some other front band.  Taking a piece out of the middle would save me from having to cut a new band seat, drilling a new hole for the band spring, and cutting a proper spring slot where there's a lightening cut.  It may come out a bit longer in the nose than than other stompers, but I think it would be best for accuracy.  I might have to dress up the joint, but I need to finish the removal of some varnish that someone else started anyway.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2017 at 2:25pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 4:58am
Print Post  
Just an 'up-date' - The 1944 "Stomperud" for sale on GunBroker (by 'gray blanket') sold for $1,650.

Seems my WAG, that it would mysteriously sell for $1,875 was a bit overly exaggerated.

FWIW - There are a lot of Krag models I would rather have for that kind of money.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I asked him about the distance from muzzle to front of the upper band on it, 6".  If I splice this as I'm presently figuring, that distance would be 5&3/16th.  I'm not budging, unless I happen to see one of those larger diameter bands.  I'll keep looking at some of the others that were done during the occupation.  I can see that it was once in a military stock, despite being purchased as a barreled action.  Where I can see that there was once a band is about 6&1/4" back from the muzzle.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jul 4th, 2017 at 4:58am:
Just an 'up-date' - The 1944 "Stomperud" for sale on GunBroker (by 'gray blanket') sold for $1,650.

Seems my WAG, that it would mysteriously sell for $1,875 was a bit overly exaggerated.

FWIW - There are a lot of Krag models I would rather have for that kind of money.

I'm with butlersrangers on this one.  Way too much, unless a guy is into Nazi memorabilia.  But my suspicious nature says "how do we really know how much it sold for?"  Is it possible for a shill to run up the bids?

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
I've seen that on ebay.  Guy helped sell a very rusty old Lyman Alaskan in a G&H mount.  That was back when you could dig a little about users, communicate with others.  Turned out the seller and shill only lived a few miles apart and both were in the antique business.  The scope and mount were junk, but bidding got up over $700 with the shill trying to say the patent date, about the only thing that could be read, was unique in some way.  One could look at the bid history on gunbroker, but that may only reveal that a certain buyer bids on certain types of guns, or often bids on gray blanket guy's auctions.  Whether or not it's with the intent to run up the bid, who can say?

IP Logged

RV-6
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Madsenshooter,

It seems that I picked a good home for the Stomperud! Keep posting pictures so I can watch the restoration progress.

A big question is; Why not fire the rifle?

Regardless, my father would approve of the work you are doing.

Gary

IP Logged

RV-6
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
A mention of the Stomperud sold on gun broker and maybe was purchased by a Nazi memorabilia collector could be correct.

We had a garage sale a few weeks ago and I had an old WWII bayonet for sale. I picked it up at one of the many gun shows my father and I went to when I was little, most of them private affairs. There were no markings on the outside of the bayonet but on the inside of the handles was the same proof markings as on the Stomperud. I wanted $2 for the bayonet and a little old German lady gave me $50. Go figure.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
It will get fired Gary, maybe even in the Vintage Rifle Match at Camp Perry next year.  Those 6.5mm bullets are hard to beat.  I'll keep track of the number of rounds that I fire through it as a selling point, if it isn't a large number.  I don't intend to sell it soon, I have a grandson who lives out in the country and is nearly old enough to have highpowered rifles.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2017 at 4:47pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Wow!  These things are coming outta the woodwork all of a sudden.  Grey blanket guy again.  Notice that the front end appears to be done differently on this one, it's ahead of the step in the barrel, as I've been figuring on doing.  Or rather it appears the barrel has been turned down to fit the band.  The difference in length between what I'm seeing, and how I intend to do it isn't significant.  (You need to Login to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2017 at 1:15pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint