Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 1898 rear sight screw holes in wrong location (?) (Read 7187 times)
Hoot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 rear sight screw holes in wrong location (?)
Reply #15 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Boy! You can't beat that kind of deal with a stick. Makes me wish I were in GA! Hope it shoots well for you.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
gtbee80 wrote on Jun 7th, 2017 at 8:15pm:
Thanks everyone for all the help.

I think I have this up to ‘shooter’ status, and will try it this weekend. Found an ‘affordable’ re-conditioned carbine barrel on e-bay (always an adventure…rear sight dimensions & front sight looked good, registration mark was intact, barrel crown looked OK, etc.) and as it turns out we have a local North Georgia gunsmith who works on service rifles. He knew his way around Krags, has Krag G/NG gauges and swapped the barrel the same day for $50. The end result is the barrel seated properly, rounds chamber & eject nicely, will see how it shoots.

Mr. Moss has an excellent reputation and is one of the few true smiths around here with all the right equipment & training for work like this, and he’s a young fellow.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

I have to ask, do Krag barrels interchange fairly often without having to do all the relocating of sights and extractor cuts? In the past I thought they were interchangeable or mostly so. gtbee80's experience makes me think this happens regularly.  If the armory went through some rather extreme pains on clocking the barrel threads they could have made the barrels mostly interchangeable.
The other possibility is gtbee80 just got lucky as it would have cost a lot more than $50.00 to recut the extractor move the sights around the barrel and resetting the head space.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
IMHO & based on a limited number of samples - The Krag barrel-threads, location of extractor cut, rear sight holes, front sight base mounting, and 'Index Mark' were all very precisely 'Timed'.

I believe all the manufacturing work, proofing, and 'browning' was completed on a Krag barrel, before, it was screwed onto a Krag receiver, (stopping, when the index mark that was located on the front edge of the receiver, matched the index mark on the barrel).

This would be very Labor Intensive and not how a manufacturer would likely do it nowadays, but, a high degree of interchangeability was achieved.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint