Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 The Usual---what is it? (Read 9064 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: The Usual---what is it?
Reply #15 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Caution - Norwegian Krag barrels have a Left-Hand Thread!

IP Logged

buffler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Thanks, got it. waiting on action wrench (may have to have some alteration). Found another in 257 Roberts that's nowhere near as nice, but OK to shoot.
Don

IP Logged

buffler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Finally got my act together. Thanks to Bill Jacobs of Bolt and Barrel; how to modify a US Krag action wrench. Did not do it, but did get the clue about the cute little notch in the action  that was made for the wrench to fit in!  So I put a chunk of 7/8 steel stock in the mill, and together with a 1-1/2 " U bolt, which fits the exterior of the action just behind the handguard boss, came up with a nice wrench that works just fine. Turns out that the bottom of the notch is even with the center of the round part of the action. Hmmmm.

A couple of pix: all that's really necessary. The ubolt nuts should be snug, but should not be exuberantly tightened. Applying Kroil or the like for some days helped a lot. Good barrel wrench, and a dead blow hammer later, and off it came. Nowhere near as nasty as a 98 or a Swede.

Now: I solicit one more answer from you.  I have a nicely contoured 7 mm barrel, and contemplate putting a 7x57 Mauser on the action. I note the SAAMI pressures are equal for that and the 6.5x55. Any thoughts? I borescoped the original barrel, and it looks like the surface of the moon in there. Completely useless. As the pix I sent before (hope the new ones are a better size) show, the old bbl has been messed with, so collector value is low.
Unless someone can steer me to a NOS barrel ? (Joke).
Best, Don

IP Logged

Speed.wagon
KCA Forum Member

Krags - 1896 & 1898

Reply #18 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your post.  I have an 1896 Krag which I want to rebarrel and have had trouble finding info on an action wrench.  Yours appears useful and straight-forward. 

I’m curious how you proceeded - did you choose a Mauser chambering?

Ready! Fire! Aim! ...No, wait...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint