Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Chrono results (Read 11228 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Chrono results
Reply #15 - May 19th, 2017 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
If you use the inertia puller, strike it on an anvil or brick... or just on the concrete floor.  Doing it on a wood workbench and the wood is soft enough to soften the impact, which does make a difference.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - May 19th, 2017 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
I crimped some Hornady 150gr FMJs like that once.  I used a collet die somehow to make the crimp.  I had to pull them down as the crimp made for too much pressure.  The edge of the crimp groove was square on the bottom, but a bit rounded at the top.  That allowed me to seat the bullet a bit more, but just a bit, trying to seat it a bunch collapsed the shoulder like the OP's.  Had the upper edge of that groove been square, I think I'd have had no choice but to shoot them.  After moving the bullet a tad the kinectic puller worked.  I think if both edges of the groove are square, they'll take a lot of whacks with a kinetic puller.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2017 at 4:38pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

kragluver
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - May 21st, 2017 at 12:32am
Print Post  
The extreme spread values on your last two loads are quite high - indicative of erratic pressure behavior. We're these recentl reloads or perhaps old ammo? I once had some old 270 handloads given to me by my wife's grandfather. They gave wildly erratic velocities and signs of high pressure in my Model 70. After shooting a few I broke a couple down and found the powder was deteriorating (bad smell, odd colors). I pulled all the bullets and tossed everything else. The pressures I was seeing scared me. What spurred me to share that story was I saw very large ES values shot to shot.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - May 21st, 2017 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Old ammo, judging by that hollowpoint bullet.  My grandma kept a live SL-43 50BMG round that my uncle brought from gunnery school in her nick knack cabinet for nigh 60yrs.  Uncle was a B-24 ball turret gunner.  I pulled it down and found that the brass had pulled all the moisture out of the powder, the inside of the case was green, the powder was starting to turn to dust.  I used some of the powder in 6.5 Japanese loads, it wasn't burning at no 4831 speed!

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Tested a load today using 41.3 grs H4831, 220 gr Hornady soft point, 303 Winchester brass at 100 yds.  Very good results.  Using my rebarreled (Criterion) and newly installed 1902 rear sight.  I did re-adjust the POI and further rezeroed it for 200 yds.  I had planned to do a little rapid practice but ran into a feeding problem.  I'll start another thread for that problem.
Vic
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2017 at 4:01pm by Kerz »  

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Update:
Well after my absolute train wreck at Perry, I've made a few changes.  Installed a proper front sight blade, clean some trigger parts (made a significant improvement from the previous 7+ lbs) and zeroed the 1902 sight with "V" notch as opposed to the aperture. 
Also tried reloading the Hornady 160 Gr FXT bullet with 41.5 grs IMR4350.  The chrono results averaged 2228 FPS (5 shots) vs 1920 FPS 41.3 grs H4831/220 Hornady.
The 160 FXT was originally designed for 30-30 tube fed rifles, providing improved range and accuracy, i.e 300 yard capability.
Groups noted below.
Vic

NRA Benefactor Member

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 11:22am
Print Post  
220 Hornady group

NRA Benefactor Member

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Speaking of Perry...  Tried to find you Kerz.  I was hoping to meet you and shoot together in our group.  Hopefully, we can meet up sometime soon...

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Paul,
I must apologize, several people were at my campsite (on Post) the evening of the dinner (although it was always doubtful I would be able to make it) including a good friend from Australia.  I did walk down the line that morning in hopes I would run into you.  I was at a centerline target.
Vic

NRA Benefactor Member

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Well, then you were pretty close to us, as we were just to the left of the range officer's tower.  We shot 1 & 2 and pitted 3 & 4.  Really sorry we missed... but I understand about having your friends there.  Next year, we'll try to do it again!  I'd like to continue the dinner too as a new tradition to go along with the annual Roosevelt Match!

Paul

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
BTW the charger worked great!

NRA Benefactor Member