Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
A couple loads I'm trying (Read 4187 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

A couple loads I'm trying
May 19th, 2017 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Here's a couple loads I'm trying with NOE Bullet Mold's 311365 Spitzer.  Last week, I had the last three shot, after I'd walked POI onto the paper, of some I'd loaded with 32.5gr of 4064, fall into a 3/8" 100yd group.  I know the bullet likes going over 2000fps, unlike some  cast spitzer designs.  The alloy used is a very hard one, harder than linotype.  These weigh in around 190gr, checked and lubed.  In the not too distant future I'm not going to have money to buy match bullets, so I'm looking for a cast alternative.  Estimated BC on these bullets is .425!  I had a go at reproducing the 1907 Palma cartridge a few year ago, with the alloy I was then using giving a finished weight of 203gr.  But that didn't work out, the alloy was too soft.  Shot great, up to a point.  IRC I had some of the 190gr bullets to compare back then, and they were still performing ok with charges that had the 203s blowing alloy back on the case neck.  I'm still looking for the max with the lighter alloy, which is basically a babbitt.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: A couple loads I'm trying
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2017 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Today I got out with my scoped cut down rifle, same bullet as above, but cast of an alloy I know starts going sour at about 35,000psi.  This alloy is high in antimony and they weighed close to 185gr checked and lubed.  35.9gr of a surplus powder you can't get anymore.  My best guess for velocity would be around 2100fps, maybe 2200.  The load shot a 100yd 8 shot group of about 3" square, with three of the holes touching.  I noticed I was working right on the edge for this alloy, some of the rounds blew alloy back on the case neck, some didn't.  Next go round will be with the loads shown above, which have a smaller amount of antimony and average closer to 190gr.  The decrease in antimony content makes the alloy less brittle and they have a higher copper content to keep the hardness up.

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Great thread!  I was under the impression that the 365 was squirrely at longer distances, will be paying attention,,,,,,.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Hi Rich!  Welcome to the forum!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Bob cast several hundred of the 311365's for me a few years ago that I use for CBA Matches out of my cutoff sporter converted to a Bench Rest rig.  I loaded them with 19 grains of AA 5744, and at 200 yards, I could almost get doubles, with less than 1 inch groups being the norm.  Not a bit squirrely!

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I've been using that bullet in my National Match '03 and absolutely love it. And yes, it seems to like high velocity (2000fps +) and to be hard. I re-barreled another 1903A1 with a Criterion barrel and throated it to match the ogive on this bullet, and I now dwell in Nirvana.

Next up is a Krag, but I'm a little leery of it for that. If the velocity and hardness parameters hold true as well in that as in the '03 then I'll perforce be shooting full power loads and that isn't my intent with cast bullet target shooting. Might as well use jacketed stuff and be done with it. I may be over thinking it... One way to find out.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Good to have someone other than me working with it.  I work slow!  Full power velocity-wise perhaps, but not pressure-wise, comparing cast to jacketed.  I think I've shot a few with a caseful of uber slow burning powder that would may have been approaching 2300-2400fps.  That's getting close to the 180gr factory loads in velocity.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 2:24am
Print Post  
I finally got out to shoot the loads I posted up top.  Not the best of days.  Still, I'm not blowing alloy on the case neck.  34.5gr of 3031 wasn't bad at all.  Interestingly 41.5gr of RL19 impacted 24 clicks lower than the 3031 load.  I had some other loads using NOE's 314 version of the Eagan MX2-30-H.  Weight check and lubed was also 190gr.  They were a bust, all over!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint